Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

Got some parts in. Ordered an extra piston to mod, copper head gaskets,some base gaskets and a brass and graphite wrist pin bushing. Modded the piston by trimming the skirts, running a counter sink into the wrist pin hole, polishing the crown and drilling/ counter sink the oil holes. Soaked the bushing over night because it seemed like a good idea. Ruined one base gasket while trimming it. Went to put the piston on and dropped the wrist pin clip right in the engine. Guess I'll work on the gas tank for a bit.

If you look at the piston and head you can see where theywere hitting. Also pic of the new neck. I'll post pics ofthe tank later.

Got the wrist pin clip out of the case and put the engine back together this morning. Started right up and sounds pretty good. Took it for a short ride and it pulls hard at part throttle. Carb definitely needs some work. Also worked on the tank some. Still need to get sealer and a fuel shutoff.

Got the wrist pin clip out of the case and put the engine back together this morning. Started right up and sounds pretty good. Took it for a short ride and it pulls hard at part throttle. Carb definitely needs some work. Also worked on the tank some. Still need to get sealer and a fuel shutoff.

Thank you. That's not welded, used brazing rods and flux with a propane torch. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Still needs to be sealed and some metal work done but I had to put it on the bike. Also have to put a vent line on it.

Thank you. That's not welded, used brazing rods and flux with a propane torch. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Still needs to be sealed and some metal work done but I had to put it on the bike. Also have to put a vent line on it.

One question that is plaugueing us on building one is decent tap connection and fuel cap set up

He wants to do alloy, much more advanced welder than me and I’m happy with stainless or mild steel.
How did you go about yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back