Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

Well the engine came in last night and I was pretty excited to open the box. First thing I noticed was the carb was missing. Sent an email but haven't heard back yet. After the initial disappointment I started to check it out and could see how much better the case and jug are compared to the Amazon engine. This weekend I'm going to open it up to make sure it's clean and paint it while it is apart. I'll take some pictures at that time.

Still waiting for the pipe, that should ship next week. Their shipment was delayed in customs.

My boss has some mikuni carbs laying around from some of his banshee builds and he is going to check the sizes to see if he has any 26mm just in case.

The carb showed up today, it was drop shipped from some other place. Thought I was getting an OKO but what showed up says Mikuni Corp. on it. Highly doubt it's real and don't really care. As long as it works...

Edit- it's 100% clone lol

Last edited:
Pulled the engine apart today and am very happy with what I found. Nice and clean and found a few surprises. Wasn't expecting open transfers or filled balance holes in the crank. Also painted the engine. Might mount it in the morning but want to work on the tank mounts first.

Worked on the bike today. Have a few issues that need to be addressed. First is the engine sits just a little too low. Going to add some some spacers to the rear mount so it pushes forward and up. Second is the carb angle, its f***ing horrible. Going to get a silicone intake hose 30 or 45 degree adapter. It needs a 45 but I think a 30 would be better. This bike is nickle and dimeing me to death. Guess that's what hobbies do lol.

Modded the carb cab so maybe I can use the stock cable from my last engine. Going to make a cable but that will be later. Just want to get it running and broken in before I do the little details.

Also cut out a template for the in frame tank. Have some street signs laying around from work and think they should work out well. Also fond a couple gas caps that I might use. Realy like the flip up one but it may be too big.

Also cut out a template for the in frame tank. Have some street signs laying around from work and think they should work out well. Also fond a couple gas caps that I might use. Realy like the flip up one but it may be too big.
I think you will be disappointed in the volume of fuel you can carry unless you really oversize it.

1937doneLeftRearHigh.jpg

This tank is 6L now (1.6G).
The topic about the build is here.
http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=812

2_1937doneRight-1280.jpg

I love those Z offset intakes, they keep the carb level.

Capacity will be fine. It will hold slightly more than the stock tank, about 1.75 - 2 liters. Don't need 5 gallons of gas since I have no plan to ride to Mexico on one tank. It is very proportional IMO for the frame. I have it mocked up with paperboard but haven't had a chance to get any pictures.

You can just tack weld the tank.
Once you have your tank built, you want to seal seal it with Caswell, it creates a new tank inside your tank body.

1937tank4Bottom.jpg

It doesn't matter if your tank leaks, Caswell seals it all up.

caswellBox1.jpg

Bummer your bike didn't come with a fake gas tank.

534_1.jpg.FP

It worked out nice for me so I thought I share ;-}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back