Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

That guy cracked me up!
He obviously does not read directions, Caswell works great at 80F to coat and he was in the 40's, it's just not warm to work right.
26.7°C is unusually warm in a lot of places!
The thread also mentioned that to avoid peeling it needs to be applied to a rough surface, and that this wasn't made clear in the directions which is why I thought I would copy the link. Might be awkward to roughen the inside of an aluminium tank after it has been welded together.

Ordered it from Zeda motorsports. Took a while for it to show up because they build them to order.
https://zedamotorsports.com/collect...d-kits/products/zeda80-69-5cc-case-reed-motor

For the gas tank I plan to use a sealer once it's done. Still have to look into that. The tank is aluminum so that may limit my options. What I used before was a 2 part epoxy from Eastwood but that was a steel tank.
Cool! I'd like to give one of those a try myself, for bike number 2 in the future. I have a so called 7hp Big Block from Arrow right now which I believe is an overpriced nice engine, but would love to see how the Zeda case reed compares. Another gas tank option if you want a short cut is to check out GhettoBike dot com.

Ghetto bike was a bit of my inspiration for the tank. They make some nice tanks that's for sure. Just don't want to spend the money lol, spent too much as it is.

The only problems I see with the engine is the chrome probably won't last long and it is hard to fit the carb without a very long intake or it hits your leg. Getting some mandrel bent exhaust tube to make a new intake.

Think I'm using KBS coatings tank sealer. Used a few of their products over the years and was more than happy.
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealer.html

Last edited:
Ghetto bike was a bit of my inspiration for the tank. They make some nice tanks that's for sure. Just don't want to spend the money lol, spent too much as it is.

Think I'm using LBS coatings tank sealer. Used a few of their products over the years and was more than happy.
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealer.html
I haven't used it, but I hope it works well for you.

Worked on the bike some over the weekend. Tried to fit the pipe, it hits everything. Header hits the down tube and front tire. The chamber hits the cylinder head and one of the arched tubes on the frame. Going to hack it off at the header, fit it, then see what has to happen for it to work.

Did get some work done to the tank. Have some fine tuning to do then I'll cut the sides.

Got the bike running over the weekend but couldn't ride it. Sounds like the piston is kissing the head or the wrist pin bearing is bad. Had to swap out the magneto because that was no good. Also have to adjust the float level before I start it up again.

Going to reshape the head using the old cylinder and piston with sandpaper method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back