Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

Well today I worked on the rear caliper mount. It was supposed to be one piece but I screwed up on a cut so it's two pieces..LOL I have to say it pissed me off a few times but that's because it is made of all scrap pieces that were laying around. Was going to work on the front mount but the fender support is in the way and it's too hot to deal with it.

Also got some more stuff in the mail. Headlights came and I think they are a killer deal at $19 from Amazon. Hollow stem bolt and tank vent line also came. Kinda hard to find the bolt since new (as in past 25 years new :p) bmx bikes use clamp on.

I have never seen a hollow quill stem bolt before. That's cool! What's the ID & OD diameters of that?

The brake adapter looks great! Nice thick chunky alloy, should be nice and stiff. :D

The stem bolt is old bmx stuff. It was for the front brake cable to run through and withe a rotor or gyro you could spin the bars around without the cables getting tangled. ID is 5.5 or 6mm, I'll have to check the OD.

Thank you for the compliment!

The stem bolt is old bmx stuff. It was for the front brake cable to run through and withe a rotor or gyro you could spin the bars around without the cables getting tangled. ID is 5.5 or 6mm, I'll have to check the OD.

Thank you for the compliment!
Hey don't besmirch my reputation lol, I know what it's for. :p
I just hadn't seen one for a quill stem. I have a bmx "hole in the head" for an aheadset that I want to use on my mtb style build. I have used them in the past to put the front brake hydraulic hose through so it doesn't get creased when the bars spin in a crash. (Rear brake hose is protected by the gear cable being slightly shorter) I even managed to get the braid armoured 6mm Hope hose through one, after drilling it out a little bit. It is a bit of a pain to swap brakes or forks though, because you have to separate the hose from the lever or caliper and bleed it every time after reconnecting. Still, they are a good way to keep things tidy and protected. :)

Last edited:
Nipples will be here Thursday. That was just the hube in the caliper mount picture. Not sure if I'll use a spoke tension gauge or not. Never used one on ant of the wheel sets I have built before without issue. May pick one up since this is by far the nicest set of wheels I have built.

I want to see the inappropriate comment ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back