I Am A Research Nerd About To Buy My First Bicycle Engine

U

utsahan

Greetings from the Appalachian Mountains of Asheville North Carolina.
Since about 2 months ago I have been investigating the market to get the best bicycle engine. I see it as a better alternative to cars. It is regrettable that the U.S.A. has such a bad public transportation system.

Its a bit mountainous and I have got some distances to travel. So far I have determined that a Staton friction drive would be the best in terms of price, simplicity, and reputation, plus the referral program he offers. I have yet to fully investigate the china frame mount kits. I have a vague Idea of the benefits and deficiencies of v-frame mount kits. Also as far as the China engines go the obvious issue is lack of proven reputation vs. the well known Hondas and Subarus, etc. But I see here no lack of enthusiasm for these kits so I will investigate further.

So far I have really carefully studied the Golden Eagle bicycle kit, the Staton kits, and the Dimensio's Edge kits.

Utsahan

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. You seem remarkably organized in your interest. I've bookmarked your site.

Make sure you strongly consider the new Dax 4 stroke chain driven drive on a rear mounted carrier. Its 4 stroke engine has proven reliable for (I believe) 2000 miles of use.

I personally do not like for friction drive. It doesn't work as well in certain weather conditions and I don't like the offset motor which affects lateral center of gravity.

The nice thing about these things, you can try one, try another even try a third and have less than a 500$ in all of them. I have a DE Scrubber and love it. Scrubbers are simple and powerful. But have their limitations. Belt/Chains are more all weather, but again have their drawbacks. Try one and if you dont like it, sell it and buy another. Or be like the rest of the nerds around here and have the dadgum things all over the place.
Welcome to the tribe from the Giant Side of Texas!

yes, you have done your homework...i hope your time here will help you expand your reference list to more fully represent what's available to the new rider/builder :)

welcome to MBc :cool:

reply to utsahan

I looked through your page and yes you have been looking around a bit. The friction drive units are good only if you have a lot of extra tires around to replace because the drive wears the tires out really really fast. The good news is they are reasonably priced and easy to install. Also you can change the ratios by changing the friction drive to a different diameter for Straights or Hills.
the problem with all motorized bikes is usually not the engine it self it is how to transfer the power to the wheel.
I was pleasantly surprised to see DAX was making his with chain. Good Deal !
But it is also stuck in one gear. It sounds like he has a decent clutch and that is important too.

What would work the best is a engine with a comet clutch torque converter used on mini bikes and go karts. Variable speed for hills and straights. Until this is done most of the motorized bikes will work about the same. Unless you have a
Hot Rod Whizzer (148cc) like Quenton builds .Than your just making more power to compensate for no transmission. Remember that 2 strokes days are numbered and all focus should be put on 4 cycle engines and electric bikes.
Roy / 50sville

Back