I am having trouble picking my motor

Why don't we look at the most important question at hand here....

WHY in the blue he** would you want to do 45MPH on a bicycle????

You do realize you are riding on a 2 inch wide tire and mechanical pull brakes NEVER EVER intended to stop a bicycle going 45MPH???

Just because I can go 45 does not mean that I am going to go 45 all over town . I would like to have it go 45 when I need it to , let's say I had to get out of the way of a teenager talking on his/her cellphone ?

Speed.

Hey Xnatejx,
I think the only way to hit 35mph cheap is to find a 26" bike, Buy a china engine, BREAK IT IN GENTLY, then take it from there.
Mountain bikes are cheap enough, Just go through it entirely to make SURE it's safe,(bearings,brakes,ect.)
I recomend a better engine but with today's economy, as with most of my customers, People are going with what's cheaper.
I've installed a lot of the chinese engines and if treated right, you can get your money's worth out of them.(most of the time.)
Without gearing, a 20 or 24" bike will never hit 40mph. AND I would NEVER recomend doing that speed on a small bike anyway.
If all you can afford for now is a chinese engine, go with it for awhile then upgrade A.S.A.P. E-bay alway's has deals on them execpt to California thanks to the E.P.A. you can get a 60-80cc for about $150.00, mabey less, and sometimes even free shipping.
Get all the advice and help you can find for your first build. listen to the guy's on this site. Most of them know what they are talking about. And buy better nuts,bolts and mounting studs for that china engine. the ones they give you BLOW big time.
Good Luck on your first,
BIG RED.

Just because I can go 45 does not mean that I am going to go 45 all over town . I would like to have it go 45 when I need it to , let's say I had to get out of the way of a teenager talking on his/her cellphone ?

Ummmm anyone using a cell phone while driving, I'm getting out of their way...not in front but behind them.

60mph, WHAT?

I'm very happy for all the people that have $600 or $800 (or more) to spend on a build. I'm not being sarcastic, the industry would be better & safer if we could all afford to put together a "****" bike. But let everyone do what they can, What they can afford to do, without putting them down for it. Of course the more expensive engines are better. I'm sure you could get one of those to do "60" just as well as a cheaper one. and yes, they last longer, but they don't do you any good if you don't have $400.00 to spend on one. Let us all just do what we can and try to educate the new guy's. Things like whats already been said about safety, speed limits and the laws in your area.
And yes, I've done it, 45mph down hill with the wind at my back. We all want to, at one time or another, just see what the bike will do. I also realize it was a pretty stupid thing to do, but I lived through it and now try to help others Not to make those same mistakes. Give the young time to learn.
Thanks,
Big Red.

To all trying to help me, I thank you . Now if your just on here to argue and be negative ,TAKE A HIKE off my conversation. I thought this was a site for all that like to build ,ride and have a good time talking with others about building and riding . If your here in my conversation just so you can be negative and argue, your just wasting my time and yours. act your age and stop being RUDE .

I shoe horned the first kings bushing engine I ever installed.
Into a roadmaster that was slightly too small.
The front motor mount needed grinding. I ground it to fit.
The intake manifold and carb assembly was slightly too long.
I used an oil soaked sponge for an air filter.
I found a smaller sparkplug and slightly dimpled the frame to clear the sparkplug cap.
It will fit.
I just noticed the smaller air filter and the angled plug.
Maybe it will fit easier.
Install the motor quick so you get the whole warranty
BUT the experience you will get is a very steep learning curve.

What ever you do GREASE all the bearings and tighten all the bolts. Before you ride off into the sunset.

The first bike I motorized was on clearance from wallyworld for $39.00.
I rode it until it was destroyed. Then I installed the engine on a bigger framed bicycle.
I rode that until it was stolen.

My current bicycle is based on the work of Detonatortuningsolution who routinely commuted 10 or more miles at speeds way faster than 45 mph.

Last edited:
Back