I am looking for advice on what motor kit to use.

Ace85258

Local time
2:10 AM
I have a 26" Huffy Beach Cruiser that I used to ride on the Strand in Southern California; I now life in Scottsdale, AZ and have decided that I'd like to motorize my Cruiser.

I am looking for some advice on what motor to use and where to get it. I am looking for something on the low end price-wise but I would like something fun and reliable.

I suppose I should have first asked if my Huffy is suitable for use with a motor kit. It seems a little "light-weight" to me but I am comparing it to bicycles I had as a kid; as the say; "they don't make 'em like they used to" but I want to make sure the frame is strong enough to be used as a motorized bike. BTW, It has no fenders (I have read that they can be a problem).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

ACE85258

Last edited by a moderator:
if i was u ,, before anything take measurements of ur frame an take pics so ppl can help u more ...

u want at least 18 inchs from centre of crank to top bar
thats ur seat tube
an 13 inchs for vee
most beach cruises can be retrofitted with a motor
failling the get a stanton drive

try looking at cycling8zone.com

brad
sydney nsw
oz

For reliability at a reasonable cost and ease of mounting, a rack mount friction drive with a 4 cycle engine is tough to beat. Since the engine and drive mount above the rear wheel the frame size is unimportant. If your cruiser has only a coaster brake on the rear wheel, I would strongly advise you add a brake on the front wheel also. At the speeds we can go a good set of brakes are quite important.

Two stroke, four stroke - rack or frame mount should all work. Just read a lot of the posts on this forum and decide what will work best for you. Start with the photo gallery.

Welcome!
Here is a pic of my huffy. Whatever you choose for a motor is up to you. Read alot in the 2 stroke and 4 stroke section and you will get an overall view. Also remember that rack mount is an option as wheelbender suggested.

Attachments

• 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 186
My $.02
You can't use HT and reliable in the same sentence.
4 stroke all the way. Honda 50 or Subaru 35. Carrying oil to mix is a pain.
Friction is the least expensive and quickest to set up.

happy time is cheap, and does take tinkering, but can pretty ran reliably if looked after. Just tightening all your bolts frequently is a big help!

Read up and see what you like, the hobby is cheap enough you can do it a few times and have fun with all of them. I started with a cheap beach cruiser and a happy time kit, upgraded it a lot, and now ride what you see in my sig almost daily.

I got my last motor kit from bikeberry, the 66cc GT5 grube seems decent so far!

Ed

Back