I am thinking of a 6.5hp rear drive.

I think it's to circumvent motorized bike laws, but he would then have to obey mobility scooter/electric wheelchair laws, which here in CA gives you a 12 mph speed limit.
no in NJ, i could declare it as traction engine for farms, (a traction engine is something that push/pulls a farm vehicle like plow/baler, etc) and then it would require a 35mph speed limit, no registration, no insurance, no fees whatsoever. Further, I am a somewhat skilled fabricator, so i decided to make a pusher b/c i thought it might be easier?!

hell no. First of i already proven that i had the green light on the welds. The previous welders forum proved it. Secondly, u are a mig welder, u have no opinion/ranking. I do stick welding.The welds are not bad, especially for the inverter welder from ghanzui province that i put in the refridgerator. Also, it has too little power for a pusher, ideally i would use a 13hp 420cc.... The wheels are rated for 10mph, which is why i am reinforcing them with rebar and bar stock. Yes the trailer will be more like 100 lbs pushing me foward when i stop. Good thing i only weight 125 lbs, so its the equivalent of just a fat guy riding a regular motorized bike.

No, you listed a link to the "start a new thread" page, and when I hunted down your ACTUAL thread on that forum it is a full page of people telling you that you're crazy and it wont work. Not one person supported you or gave any green light on your welds. I posted the link.
LOL where is the green light? All I see are people saying it won't work and its a terrible idea.

Very first reply to your thread on that forum?
Post pics of your wounds after you test it out.

Also, I weld stick, mig, and FCAW and know a surface weld when I see one. My stick welding is many, many, MANY times better than yours. Heck, my DCEN converted harbor freight flux core welder does cleaner, deeper penetrating welds than what you posted. If I need to weld more than 1/4" thick, I can dust off my old USA made giant adjustable Sears 220 stick welder. If I need to weld thin sheet, I just add my homemade nichrome wire rheostat to bring the amps down to below the "0" and I can do welds on thin expansion chambers without burning through...all on a 10yo $90 harbor freight POS (the old blue 90A crappy version too, not the nicer newer black 100A model).

I was being polite for a long time but you have made it farther than I honestly expected and at this point I don't think it would be fair to YOU to let you continue with what is so clearly a terrible idea. A 212 is a POWERFUL motor and a pusher is the LEAST desirable method to motorize a bicycle. They are unstable, unsafe, terrible at stopping, and only meant for 10-15mph setups. Anyone who has pulled a trailer will understand that you wouldn't want a powered one pushing you at more than a moderate walking pace. Trains do it because they are literally attached to tracks on the ground and can't jackknife.

Basic physics says that a 125lb guy being pushed by a motor with 100lbs is NOT the same as a 225lb guy on a bike unless you are comparing idle rolling down a hill. The forces are different, the balance point is different, and how it handles is different. The only good thing is that you will never get anywhere near your crazy speed goal - you MIGHT make it like half way there but even then 30mph is still insane for a pusher.

Oh, also any welder who has learned a single thing knows that you should NOT weld galvanized metals like your stolen chopped down stop sign posts since it releases all sorts of nasty gasses.

Since you're a pro welder apparently though, I'm sure you did it outdoors with a fan and had a proper OSHA respirator under your helmet the whole time.

No, you listed a link to the "start a new thread" page, and when I hunted down your ACTUAL thread on that forum it is a full page of people telling you that you're crazy and it wont work. Not one person supported you or gave any green light on your welds. I posted the link.

Very first reply to your thread on that forum?

Also, I weld stick, mig, and FCAW and know a surface weld when I see one. My stick welding is many, many, MANY times better than yours. Heck, my DCEN converted harbor freight flux core welder does cleaner, deeper penetrating welds than what you posted. If I need to weld more than 1/4" thick, I can dust off my old USA made giant adjustable Sears 220 stick welder. If I need to weld thin sheet, I just add my homemade nichrome wire rheostat to bring the amps down to below the "0" and I can do welds on thin expansion chambers without burning through...all on a 10yo $90 harbor freight POS (the old blue 90A crappy version too, not the nicer newer black 100A model).

I was being polite for a long time but you have made it farther than I honestly expected and at this point I don't think it would be fair to YOU to let you continue with what is so clearly a terrible idea. A 212 is a POWERFUL motor and a pusher is the LEAST desirable method to motorize a bicycle. They are unstable, unsafe, terrible at stopping, and only meant for 10-15mph setups. Anyone who has pulled a trailer will understand that you wouldn't want a powered one pushing you at more than a moderate walking pace. Trains do it because they are literally attached to tracks on the ground and can't jackknife.

Basic physics says that a 125lb guy being pushed by a motor with 100lbs is NOT the same as a 225lb guy on a bike unless you are comparing idle rolling down a hill. The forces are different, the balance point is different, and how it handles is different. The only good thing is that you will never get anywhere near your crazy speed goal - you MIGHT make it like half way there but even then 30mph is still insane for a pusher.
Look there are hundreds of pusher trailers in existence with 6.5 hp predator. Go on google images.... and they seem to be doin ok. How is my case any different. The only bad thing is I am using the harbor freight moving tires which I reinforced....
Here’s the thread on weld web where they critiqued the welds. Yes I have the ok on the weld strength. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?705133-6011-vs-7018

sure, it's been done on lots of levels. the real learning experience comes when it's reasonably done and see exactly the critical things abt actually using it. I remember my 1st front wheel drive car and thought it was really weird feeling but cars are done well and it's just a different thing. I know without having been in one, a pusher cart will be very very weird to get used to even if it is well thought out and built.
best of luck n skill... just be safe when you try it out the first times. a 212's a hella powerplant to try for a 1st attempt at something like this!

Look there are hundreds of pusher trailers in existence with 6.5 hp predator. Go on google images.... and they seem to be doin ok. How is my case any different. The only bad thing is I am using the harbor freight moving tires which I reinforced....
Here’s the thread on weld web where they critiqued the welds. Yes I have the ok on the weld strength. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?705133-6011-vs-7018
They are not doing it with sign post welded frames using incorrectly powered welders, 10mph cheap tires, incorrect gearing, and pushing a bicycle at high speeds with it.

The thread you linked has ONE person saying "it should hold", while most agree that they can't tell from those pics, over a full page of what type of electrode is best (welders version of "what oil should I run?") and a bunch of people recommending AGAINST your linked 120v house outlets as well.
"As far as penetration, you can't tell from those pictures. "

Not sure where you are seeing agreement from them besides the one single post saying "it should hold". The frame holding is least of your worries though. Getting jackknifed into the trees on the side of the road or being pushed into traffic are more pressing issues.

Damn you guys are still going? Did bike4death build it yet?? Still talking 3 months about a build I could do in a day?? Cmon man.

One thing I've noticed with pushers, if you attempt to go slower than the trailer wants to, you will be pushed out of the way. You 100% need a brake on the trailer, not only to help slow down, but straighten it back out in case it attempts to jackknife or gets speed wobbles.

Damn you guys are still going? Did bike4death build it yet?? Still talking 3 months about a build I could do in a day?? Cmon man.
Lol. I am a slow union worker and I take long breaks. Also everything is custom hacked. I didn’t have a long enough throttle cable so I combined 2 smaller ones took about a few hours to get it to work and ride smoothly. Every 10min of weld requires 1hr of welder in the fridge.... And plus custom lock collars as regular lock collars are to expensive. Custom gears from gears that don’t fit and grinding out the edges.... also I had spring break and can’t work on weekends and for a while a long time b/c of sat prep...
Also any small part of material need, I would bike to the train station take the train to a station somewhat close to Home Depot or harbor freight then bike 2 the store. Then miss the train by a few mins and wait an hour for the next one... In NJ, the trains run every hour and from the station which is 1.5mi from the house i take it down 3 stops, then bike 3.5miles to harborfreight, then bike the return 3.5miles, which means i have 1 hr - the 15min it takes for the train to arrive from middletown to little silver and minus the 20min to buy stuff at the store which means i am left with 25 minutes to bike 7miles while carrying a little napsack on my handlebars which holds the tires and parts which sometimes tears open and drops my stuff on the side of the road and then i go back and pick it up and.... fun facts when i have to buy tools of craigslist for cost reasons, i once biked 20 miles from my house with a 40lb bicycle trailler and tied down a miter saw to it, and then trying to get the trailler and miter saw jammed in the elevator and bike, broke one of the bicycle wheels axle things that dont bolt on but clamp from the trailler so i had a wrench and dissasembled the tire of the bike and fit it on the trailer. Also since i then found out my trailler didnt fit in the train, i had to unscrew 10 screws 3.5" long and unbolt half of the trailler to fit, causing me to miss the train and catch the next one, 1hr. the conductor almost might have kicked me off because the trailler blocked the whole car and nobody could get through and...then i had to reassemble the trailler when i got off at my stop with the wrench and all and then walk the whole thing home with my bicycle hanging off the trailler side... Another fun fact is that when i was going to pick up a bandsaw i arrived an hour late from biking delays and so i wasted biking 20 miles to his house in a different county then the other x miles back home and went through the whole dissasemble reassemble thing with the trains because i a critical bolt fell out of the trailler so i salvaged a bolt from wherever and...

Funny u need to show off about how quickly you can build something to a lil 16 y/o kid

Last edited:
Back