I call it Buzzbike

Good NN for that would be ODDBALL. I don't know whether to love it or hate it. Awesome design and function, well done Grasshopper!

Good NN for that would be ODDBALL. I don't know whether to love it or hate it. Awesome design and function, well done Grasshopper!
I get it. A cyclist friend of mine called it a monstrosity. Me thinks he went OTB and hugged a few too many trees at high speedo_O

It is a beautiful monstrosity. The wife is still stunned I did it with no drawings, just started cutting, welding, scavenging, and now use it to run errands. Gotta add a trailer, can't carry a lot of groceries in a backpack.

It did evolve for sure. There is pic in my intro post before it earned its rework. I did it on a lark. After 100 miles, it earned its upgrades and pretty paint. And, I was tired of looking at the Huffy decals on the swingarm....

Last edited:
Pic of the rear with the steel roller, made from a 2 1/4" diameter pipe fitting with metal reducer end caps fitted with brass reducer fittings to match the 14mm drive shaft. Same roller I ran 100 miles on. The rubber on PVC was lightweight, but didn't hold up. Oh well. it was an experiment, and as seen here, I had prepped my fallback position. I gots no worries with this roller! If I break it...I'll break a LOT more important stuff. On that note...

Gonna add another reflector in the hole on back of engine platform. Can't have too many reflectors.
Or too much HORN.
SEE ME.
HEAR ME.
Get outta MY WAY. The Urban Buzzbike is coming thru.

rear view steel roller.jpg

Performance report:
Hell YES!

Just finished a 10-mile ride. It was sweet. I did notice some 4-stroking when cruising wide open on the flats, but it opens up the moment it hits a grade. I think it was Apple that noticed this with his 2-stroke too, the engine likes to have a load on it. It's better to 4-stroke (rich) than run lean, so thats just the nature of the beast.

I pull clutch in going downhill so I don't heat the engine. Price I pay for that rolling restart, no freewheeling, its either engaged or not. I see its better to re-engage with engine a bit faster than movement, so I don't get the slowdown jerk. Especially when coming on a hill that needs my help. But, so far, only one hill I found that I have to assist, and even that is fun. Its nice to make it to the top of a hill with gears still in high position going 15mph. No more huffy-puffy. This old man no longer stuck in the flatlands. I shake my fist at the hills!!!

Cold start, I prime it, pull three times slow, yank once. Warm pull-start, just yank once. Roll-start, get to 5mph, drop clutch at 1/3 throttle, and off ya go. I didn't try cold roll-start.

Overall an excellent shakedown ride.

Gonna refill my tank, and my tea bottle, and go see some more of the neighborhood. You can't just go around here driving a car on these country roads, people living here think you are snooping. On a bicycle? They wave and smile at ya. Its nice to learn the world around me, I feel like a tourist hitting these back roads.

Sometime this week I'm loading it up and heading to the city. I am an urban street biker at heart!!!

Gotta get wife's help for that video.

Did make a change in gearing. Welded 14mm sleeves to a double- sprocket crankset. One matches the first 44t, the other is 52t. Gonna run that to see if hill-climbing improvement offsets speed loss.

Also considering freewheel on engine shaft. I'll lose rolling restart, but gain being able to coast downhill or flats and throttle down without clutch. Better for 2-stroke, and more pleasing to the popo (occifer, its not a 'manual clutch' its an 'engine lockout lever'...not using it as a clutch might help).

That'll be a while yet. Gotta buy the freewheel sprocket. Ain't happening this month.

Other forum, cannanball II has done one and just about every kind of friction drive out there...........Curt

Back