I can see now! - Spooky tooth light kit review - and angle seat post

Local time
11:00 AM
Spooky Tooth Generator light kit review:

Being I leave to go to work on my bike at 5:45am in the morning, go down a .07 mile long 20 degree steep hill usually at 40+ mph, I decided I was getting a little too old to be playing the odds before I lose - badly.
So did some research, and decided to go w/ the Spooky tooth generator light and tail light kit for $35.00. - I hate replacing batteries.
Shipping was great as usual. Opened the box, and got something different than what the pic shows on his website, but not bad. Still had a modern classical look to it - should still look good on the bike.
No instructions, but pretty simple to figure out.

It came w/ two lights -?? - one looked like it could be a driving day light or something, and then it had the regular center light. Got it hooked up, and working well. Decided to turn the switch to get the top light to illuminate. - and did it! - it was brilliant and lit up the road great!! - until - I hit about 10 mph - then it blew out. However, the center light has worked great with no problems. I have no idea what that top light was supposed to do.
The bike vibration seems to have no effect on the light, and I have not had any problems with it since installed. The beam stays very bright up to about 10 mph and then starts to fade out. Still have no idea what that top light was for though.:mad:

Overall: - I would rate it an (8).
Visibility is great, but instructions would be really nice.
I had to splice additional wire to reach the install point for the rear tail light.
The mount bracket that came w/ the (product in picture may not be what you receive) - was very cheap compared to what I thought I was getting - much shorter and no fashion style at all.

Angled Seat post review:

It's AWESOME!!
I am 6"3" and 3/4" - tall - I was able to ride the bike ok, but the legs tended to jam up quite a bit on the upswing of the pedals
Decided to give it a try. What a difference!!
The small amount of additional angle changed the entire riding experience!
The ride is much more comfortable and I can also get a lot more down push on the pedals now - to get up that 20 degree hill I told you about earlier:rolleyes:

Overall rating-- (9)

Simple install.
Cost was $11.00 - and well worth the investment for the change in riding comfort.
Only downside, would have liked chrome instead of polished metal.

If you are tall, I highly recommend you try this.

enjoy the pic's!!

Troy Fitz.

these are my most recent update pics:

Attachments

• Troy's bike file_45.jpg
    Troy's bike file_45.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 906
  • Troy's bike file_46.jpg
    Troy's bike file_46.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 662
  • Troy's bike file_47.jpg
    Troy's bike file_47.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 726
  • Troy's bike file_48.jpg
    Troy's bike file_48.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 721
  • Troy's bike file_49.jpg
    Troy's bike file_49.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 674
  • Troy's bike file_50.jpg
    Troy's bike file_50.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 560
  • Troy's bike file_51.jpg
    Troy's bike file_51.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 605
Thanks for sharing, those are two items, different seat and lighting, I've been interested in. And great pics.

Tell me about the seat itself, I don't see that at Spooky.

One other comment: isn't the generator supposed to run off the rim, in the pics it looks like you have it on the tire?

Last edited:
If them lights are 6v they are probably 3watts which means that they may well work connected to the white wire.

BSA

I'm not sure if it would have made in difference in the light blowing out, but I think I would re-adjust the location of the generator so that the little friction wheel was riding on the "rib" below the side tread, instead of on the tread itself. (I'm looking at you 5th picture from the top in your original post.)

On my (non-motorized) road bike, I have a set of Schwalbe Marathon tires that actually have a rib in the same location that was stated in Schwalbe's literature as being for a "bottle" dynamo.

Got excited when I first saw the title of this thread - but - after reading about your slight problems and looking at a picture of your light set - I am not sure. Looks similar to a generator set that I sold years ago at a bicycle shop that I owned - I HOPE THAT IT'S NOT - because if it is a made for bicycle set - due to speed - the lights will be burning out real fast. You rate it an 8 - but - with the problems that you have shared - you sure ? Keep us informed. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I wouldnt' rate a light like that at 8 but cool looking set up.

Anyone else know of a generator light set up? Would putting a larger friction wheel on a genaerator help it to work at higher speeds?

Thanks for the replies:

dwsutton Your bike looks awesome ! I assume the light is 6 volts, did you try connecting it to the motor ?

BSA If them lights are 6v they are probably 3watts which means that they may well work connected to the white wire.

A: Nope - it's a 12 volt 6 watt - according to what it says on the generator.

Happy Valley Thanks for sharing, those are two items, different seat and lighting, I've been interested in. And great pics.

Tell me about the seat itself, I don't see that at Spooky.

One other comment: isn't the generator supposed to run off the rim, in the pics it looks like you have it on the tire?

A: The seat is a Schwinn comfort seat - it was $20.48 at Walmart.
Takes a little getting used to- need to change how you get on and off your bike a little - but if your bike is a cruiser, it works great.
Great padding - just right.

A: The generator is supposed to run off the area where the whitewall is. It's currently riding on the tread. I need to lower it to go between the whitewall and the tread. After testing it, just never took the time to re-adjust it.

tpelle I'm not sure if it would have made in difference in the light blowing out, but I think I would re-adjust the location of the generator so that the little friction wheel was riding on the "rib" below the side tread, instead of on the tread itself.

A: totally agree - need to re-adjust it.

Mountainman Got excited when I first saw the title of this thread - but - after reading about your slight problems and looking at a picture of your light set - I am not sure. Looks similar to a generator set that I sold years ago at a bicycle shop that I owned - I HOPE THAT IT'S NOT - because if it is a made for bicycle set - due to speed - the lights will be burning out real fast. You rate it an 8 - but - with the problems that you have shared - you sure ? Keep us informed. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

A: The light set was made by Tung Lin according to the sticker on the generator. The center light works fine - 12Volts w/ 6 watt light and at 20-22mph - it lights the road really well. I have had the light engaged at over 40mph, and no problems so far.
I rated it as an 8 mainly due to the overall quality-
Decent chrome if taken care of, the visibility is great. I can barely hear the generator when coasting down the big hill. And the looks aren't that bad.
I also had to pretty much measure it's quality against nothing since I do not have any prior experience with generator light kits.

TWalker I wouldnt' rate a light like that at 8 but cool looking set up.

Anyone else know of a generator light set up? Would putting a larger friction wheel on a genaerator help it to work at higher speeds?

A: WOW - I'm not sure I would want to go much faster than 40+ on my bike. But, I can tell you it's done fine up to about 43mph so far.

Final thought: if this was the light kit that was pictured on the website, I probably would not have purchased it. The light kit being featured was smaller, the mount bracket was a definite plus in looks, and I liked the crystal design a lot more.
But after using this one, I got used to it, and it hasn't let me down since installed.

Gotta go, Race is about to start!!:cool:

Thanks,

Troy Fitz

on that light set up - yes - if one changed the size of the drive roller - a little larger - that would save on bulbs - won't be as bright - can also change bulb to a higher wattage - this may have already been done do to the fact that it was sold to be used on MBs ? They made a really nice set at one time years ago - made in the USA - but I would think now - long gone... PS - your headlight has two blubs - one side - one center - side light should - if I remember - brake up the light somewhat - better to the sides -- and the center used more for long distance. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Last edited:
I wouldnt' rate a light like that at 8 but cool looking set up.

I just meant that one light blew out at 10 MPH, not good. But if you have one good light at 30 MPH it's probbly not a bad deal.

keep us updated on this thread cuz I would really like a good generator light.

Back