i didnt want to hijack his thread.....

Mate, that bike, it's history.

The pics show a re-built rear wheel with new axle, bearings etc that was included in the axle kit
Testing at the moment but seems ok, rides well.

I thought I post this to show some idea cos you do have a dangerous situation there, but the actual question on bicycle thread would have been,
is that spacer and axle fitted correctly the way it is ?

Attachments

• tn_Spacer for rear axle.jpg
    tn_Spacer for rear axle.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 184
I've gotten pretty good at mentally visualizing the process of building my MB-imagining in my head what will work and what won't. I've got a pretty good image/slideshow/mpeg4 whatever in my head what is going to happen if you continue to ride this frame.

you'll be cruising along on the shoulder and you'll hit a small bump, manhole cover or something and the seatstay will snap, you will feel a sag in your left butt cheek but that won't last long because the tire will be driven into the right chainstay and the bike will stop, but you won't...

I don't mind dying on my bike-but man, I don't want it to be the one with the motor on it.

find new frame. Steel, steel, steel. 80s hybrid/mountain bikes, CraigsList, garage sales, thrift stores,

looks like frames with slanting toptubes have the seatstays with angles that may make it hard to clear the chain. back to the drawingboard. and buy a lotto ticket.

jon

With my new frame I did need to force the frame apart a bit more than stock by using an extra nut and washer on the rear axle bolt. Added about a third of an inch more room so my chain doesn't even come close.

Also, a chain tensioner in the right place does a good job keeping the chain away from the thicker part of the frame. In this case it needed to be mounted on the top side somehow.

Last edited:
well I thank everyone for their input here... the engine is already off the bike and I am not riding it anymore... I guess ill have to go back to the old drawing board, at least there is lots of garage sales around where I live... ill be posting pics of the new frame I pick up as soon as I get it and ask you guys if it'll work seeing that I thought my old frame would work lol. THANX

HAPPY RIDIN

If I were you I'd order myself a 34 tooth sprocket and a chain tensioner while I wait to find a frame. Smaller gear = more room. Plus you get extra mileage, speed...

Back