Exhaust I drove it without an exaust pipe for about 4 miles...

F

fogg4444

My exaust pipe fell off and I drove it for about 4 miles on pavement and a dirt trail... 9It was so loud...crazy loud, like a harley!!) It dosent seem to be working right, now. I have to idle at a much higher speed now or else it will bog down and my fuel seems to dissappear faster. I dont know what is going on. help?

BRIAN :(

the exhaust pipe provides necessary back pressure to the enigne...so if you ran it without the pipe, the unburned fumes (that give you power and gas milage) will just escape. I The fumes also provide a sort of seal-if you will- that keeps the engine running rather than boggin out.

I would say lean runing conditions...out her back on just to be safe :???:

So I hope that bit helped you?!?! :???:

Hi I may be mistaken but I believe the exhaust pipe helps to disipate the heat from the head. pretty sure the engine would run hotter without a pipe which may cause undue wear.
also ,with an open exhaust port , your allowing for contaminates to enter the engine,
If you were riding off road or in a real dusty area, Yes this could certainly have adverse effects on your engine

Hope alls ok

~Haggard~

fogg4444 said:
I dont know what is going on. help?

BRIAN :(

You rode it with the exhaust off.

Put it back on.

The exhaust needs to be on there for a couple of reasons, which I won't go into now.

No exhaust = no low end power and will cause lean running conditions.....really bad.

Put it back on.

still isn't running well

it still doesent run well. i put the exaust back on with a piece of leather for a temporary gasket, it seems to seal fine for now. The bike still feels weird though. I cant go nearly as fast as before. I used to be able to go around 35 mph but now it gets maybe a top speed of around 15 and I have to fiddle constantly with the choke while I ride or it just slows down immediately. if I pull in the clutch and rev it it jus bogs down and stops unless I rev it real high to keep it going... what do I do now??

You have an air leak...check your intake gasket and after you put it back together, make sure the carb is all the way on and tight.

no, if you rode it too much with no pipe, you hurt it.

An engine needs the back pressure of the pipe.

I think it can draw in cool air thru the exit port when it's not supposed to and damage stuff, I think. I wanna say it scorches or burns something, the piston maybe? hold on I'll remember sooner or later.
damn maybe it cracks the head. That's what just popped into my mind.

but I think you hurt it.

I ran a mac 101 kart engine for a whole summer with no exhaust, just the open port- no damage.

Engines don't "need" backpressure, but work better with it, especially on the low end.

The exhaust pipe actually retains heat, not disipate it.

There is the possibility that you got a crud chunk/rock/sand inside the cylinder, but if that's the case you would have felt it right away.

Check for air leaks. From what you describe, you are running very lean....not good.

Back