I finally built a "motored" bike! (sorta)

jetpackjbf

Local time
4:40 PM
I recently bought a cheap bottle dynamo light kit for my bike off Amazon, since I wanted to be able to ride at night when it's cooler. Unfortunately, the thing stopped working after two days. I tried to repair it, but there was too much friction for it to spin enough to function. Not to mention that the lights that came with it were far too dim to do anything. So I got to work searching through my junk for a solution!

I found a medium-sized brushed motor, zip ties, a broken flashlight, and some wires. So technically, this is now a motorized bicycle.
1660357943081.png

I ziptied the motor down, loosely connected the wires to the motor and the lights, replaced the headlight with the old flashlight's LED bulb, put the original headlight bulb in the taillight, and gave it a test.

And you know what? My setup works much better than the actual bottle dynamo ever did!
1660358279980.png
1660358350223.png

I recently bought a cheap bottle dynamo light kit for my bike off Amazon, since I wanted to be able to ride at night when it's cooler. Unfortunately, the thing stopped working after two days. I tried to repair it, but there was too much friction for it to spin enough to function. Not to mention that the lights that came with it were far too dim to do anything. So I got to work searching through my junk for a solution!

I found a medium-sized brushed motor, zip ties, a broken flashlight, and some wires. So technically, this is now a motorized bicycle.
View attachment 178760
I ziptied the motor down, loosely connected the wires to the motor and the lights, replaced the headlight with the old flashlight's LED bulb, put the original headlight bulb in the taillight, and gave it a test.

And you know what? My setup works much better than the actual bottle dynamo ever did!
View attachment 178761View attachment 178764
Motorized bicycle generally means combustion and/or electricity is being used to contribute to propulsion. Through creative what you have is more of a human powered generator.

Motorized bicycle generally means combustion and/or electricity is being used to contribute to propulsion. Through creative what you have is more of a human powered generator.
It may not be powered by a motor, but it definitely sounds like it. I'll post a video showing how loud it is at some point, it's the closest I'm getting to a real motored bike for a while...

Come on now you rebuilt a riding mower engine. Get creative, you can do it.
Unsuccessfully rebuilt one, but fair point. I'm still trying to think of some kind of motorized bicycle contraption though.

I bought two mystery chainsaws for $20 a while ago, one seems to have major damage and the other one is fine but needs a carburetor (the other carburetor is broken too). Even if I got one running, without a welder I highly doubt I could make a motoredbike out of them.
I do have a starter motor and some batteries which I may be able to ziptie into an ebike, but it would be awful and have a runtime of about 5 minutes.

I'll keep thinking though.

Back