I finally realized why they call it Crappy Time...

M

macarollo

Before I bought my bike I thought this would be a somewhat reliable egine kit.

Since I have had it, this is what has gone wrong... in order.

1. Chain tensioner- flew off while riding. (replace with skate board wheel).
2. Sprocket bolts snapped while tightening (replaced with US bolts).
3. Chain snapped at quick link (did not use another quick link when I fixed chain).
4. Muffler baffle shot out of muffler (fixed it by drilling screws in to hold it.)
5. Fuel line leaked (used zip ties/thread tape to fix).
6. Idle screw flew out (replaced it with another one).
7. Clutch lever pivot bolt flew off while riding (replaced with another bolt).
8. Engine started surging and running bad (took carb apart... I think float fork retaining clip came loose).
9. Gas tank retaining nut flew off.... gas tank flipped over bar while I was riding it! (replaced nuts)
10. engine stud broke after I tightened motor mount nuts (broke while riding).

I have many traveled 500 miles on the bike... 10 things have broke! (I am sure I forgot something)

I have a 2005 Suzuki SV650S that has 8000 miles on it... absolutely no problems from that.

The chinese sure build some crappy engines.

I have started to use locktite EVERYWHERE on this bike.

1. Chain tensioner- flew off while riding. (replace with skate board wheel).

Pure evil. But not really the engine...

2. Sprocket bolts snapped while tightening (replaced with US bolts).

Double Pure evil. But not really the engine...

3. Chain snapped at quick link (did not use another quick link when I fixed chain).

Triple Pure evil. But not really the engine...

4. Muffler baffle shot out of muffler (fixed it by drilling screws in to hold it.)

Pure garbage. Get an expansion chamber.

5. Fuel line leaked (used zip ties/thread tape to fix).

Get a real valve, filter and line.

Operator error.

7. Clutch lever pivot bolt flew off while riding (replaced with another bolt).

New one on me. Cool!!

8. Engine started surging and running bad (took carb apart... I think float fork retaining clip came loose).
Interesting. So the float adjustment fixed it.

9. Gas tank retaining nut flew off.... gas tank flipped over bar while I was riding it! (replaced nuts)

Wow. This had to be operator error unless the nut actually failed. When tightened down, the clamp should ask as a locking device.

10. engine stud broke after I tightened motor mount nuts (broke while riding).

Common. For sure get some real studs. This is a real problem.

"I have a 2005 Suzuki SV650S that has 8000 miles on it... absolutely no problems from that.The chinese sure build some crappy engines."

Not trying to be a smart ax, but how much did that pup cost new? Even used I see them for $4000-$8000. Really comparing to a bolt on low cost bike engine.....is like comparing an aircraft carrier with an assemble yourself .22 rimfire.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a smart ax, but how much did that pup cost new? Even used I see them for $4000-$8000. Really comparing to a bolt on low cost bike engine.....is like comparing an aircraft carrier with an assemble yourself .22 rimfire.

I bought it for $4000 used a year ago, not exactly sure the new price off the top of my head.

I know there is a huge price difference. You cannot really compare the two... I was just saying that it is reliable, and this thing is not!

I don't mind tinkering though... I have learned a lot from my Crappy Time.

Operator error.

Operator error? Come on Pablo, that sounds like some Chinese funny-business. how should the operator keep thier idle screw in the engine? (im about to go do it as soon as you tell me)

Thanks to all who have helped me. I'm no mechanic.

Operator error.

Operator error? Come on Pablo, that sounds like some Chinese funny-business. how should the operator keep thier idle screw in the engine? (im about to go do it as soon as you tell me)

Thanks to all who have helped me. I'm no mechanic.

OK admittedly that was tongue in cheek, and I certainly have heard of it happening before - but in some cases, the idle screw was out too far in the first place. I would offer that for some reason if your idle screw is a bit loose for comfort (mine are always tight) a tiny drop of low strength Loctite on the outer couple threads of the screw might be advisable.

In the interest of safety, please everyone- use proper spring or screw hose clamps on your fuel lines.

As for the other stuff- well, let's just say that there are issues.

thast unlucky, the only thing happen to mine is the chain clip came apart. and thats it.
but wen i installed the kit i did used zip ties and thread tape for the fuel line.

I have a 2005 Suzuki SV650S that has 8000 miles on it... absolutely no problems from that.

Sweet! I have a 2006 SV650s. They handle like a dream and have massive balls for accelerating. It's also over a hundred lbs lighter than my 2000 suzi Katana 600.
They're not expensive considering what a lot of other motorcycles cost. And like you I've had absolutely no problems with the bike. I have 7500 miles on mine and my chain hasn't even noticeably stretched requiring adjustment. Then again I roll the throttle rather than snapping it because I'm not wild and I don't like repairs... Would like to keep the resale value high on it too of course.

Back