I give up: re-installing the cam and gear on the NE5

Risk Man

Local time
1:20 PM
I admit, this is my first tear down of my late 2004 manufactured NE-5. Yes I took pictures after I took the side cover off (the cam gear stayed in place and note the engine is still mounted on the bike) there were mating marks; dimples in each but I I did not mark the two gears my self as I am not certain the previous owner had the proper timing set when I bought it. It ran pretty good the 4 times I ran it after picking it up earlier this year. But I assumed there was a way to set the timing with the existing marks on the gears (line and dimple on the crank and dimple and hole on the cam gear) but from my photos, I don't see that they were near each other though perhaps the photo does not show it and i did not pay enough attention to it.

I just can not get the rear of the cam shaft inserted into the fixed bearing in the other side of the case no matter how much I fiddle with it. Are the lifters in the way? (I did lift the left lifter to get it out of the way)

Must be an easier way?

Attachments

• IMG_2859 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2859 - Copy.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2875 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2875 - Copy.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 97
I admit, this is my first tear down of my late 2004 manufactured NE-5. Yes I took pictures after I took the side cover off (the cam gear stayed in place and note the engine is still mounted on the bike) but there were no "Mating Marks". I did not mark the two gears my self as I am not certain the previous owner had the proper timing set when I bought it. It ran pretty good the 4 times I ran it after picking it up earlier this year. But I assumed there was a way to set the timing with the existing marks on the gears (line on the crank and dimple and hole on the cam gear)

I just can not get the rear of the cam shaft inserted into the fixed bearing in the other side of the case no matter how much I fiddle with it. Are the lifters in the way? (I did lift the left lifter to get it out of the way)

Must be an easier way?
Is the motor at TDC?

Is the motor at TDC?
Well this is my first rodeo on these 4 stroke engines..... and the engine is still mounted on the bike with only the side case off and the tappit cover off. I don't know how to determine Top Dead Center from where I am at on the engine at this point.... lots to learn here. It just seems like a tight rope walk to get the shaft exactly aligned with the back case bearing hole while holding the gear and keeping the cam shaft horizontal and precisely targeted at the bearing center hole.

Some flat heads you can see the piston when it's at the top through the sparkplug hole, some you can't. If you can't see it then the head has to come off to help determine TDC. The springs will hold the valves closed, but the tappets might slide down. To help keep the tappets up against the valve stem, put a big glob of petroleum jelly on the end and push them up to the valve. Then you will be able to get the cam installed past all that business.

I admit, this is my first tear down of my late 2004 manufactured NE-5. Yes I took pictures after I took the side cover off (the cam gear stayed in place and note the engine is still mounted on the bike) there were mating marks; dimples in each but I I did not mark the two gears my self as I am not certain the previous owner had the proper timing set when I bought it. It ran pretty good the 4 times I ran it after picking it up earlier this year. But I assumed there was a way to set the timing with the existing marks on the gears (line and dimple on the crank and dimple and hole on the cam gear) but from my photos, I don't see that they were near each other though perhaps the photo does not show it and i did not pay enough attention to it.

Must be an easier way?
It's probably just a tight fit Keep trying you'll get it Maybe give it a little tap

But actually if ya line up the dots and slide it in it should go in with no problems
Line up cam gear timing dot one tooth counterclockwise from the crank gear timing dot

It's a long story to go into at the moment but the timing dots line up like this (see pic)

For legal HP reasons to sell the 138cc 4 stroke Whizzer here in the USA as motor bicycles, Whizzer had the cam gear timing dot stamped one tooth retarded
This way Whizzer could prove their bikes were designed to only have 1.95 HP
IT's no secret Whizzer told everyone for more power to advance the cam gear one tooth counterclockwise for more power
Then the bike will have 3.5HP and with a couple easy mods the engine will be 4.5 HP
DSCF8396.JPG

If ya don't have a timing dot on your Cam gear you can find it buy copying this example
This puts the cam gear timing dot exactly like you see it in the above picture
DSCF8419.JPG

Must be an easier way?

Maybe your valve lash is too tight
To really get the lifters out of your way adjust the tappets to where ya got a huge lash then hold the lifters up and slide the cam in
On a low miles engine sometimes it can be a tight fit getting the shaft end into the bearing, but it goes in.
Maybe put the cam your freezer for an hour then stick it in

Well this is my first rodeo on these 4 stroke engines..... and the engine is still mounted on the bike with only the side case off and the tappit cover off. I don't know how to determine Top Dead Center from where I am at on the engine at this point.... lots to learn here. It just seems like a tight rope walk to get the shaft exactly aligned with the back case bearing hole while holding the gear and keeping the cam shaft horizontal and precisely targeted at the bearing center hole.
You don't need to know TDC to put the cam in, just line up the timing dots like I showed you

When your ready to adjust the valve lash then we will go over how to find TDC on the compression stroke to set the valve lash

I think the tight fit is mostly the problem. When I took the side cover off (I have 800 miles on the bike) the cam was retained in the case. It took some tug and wiggle to pull it out. I will be more patient and get the dots lined up properly which I know they were not. Thanks for the ideas.

Back