I got electrocuted by the kill switch and other questions

K

Kncool

So I just finished my bike and motor, wiring is black to black, blue to blue, white to nothing and hanging there, and kill switch end was attached to where the blue to blue meets together (this is right?). First time I rode the kill switch doesnt work after pressing it numerous time, so I just pull in the clutch and choke the motor out. Second time I rode after readjusting the idle screw the motor didnt die when I tried to choke it, so I tried the kill switch again and got this major shock up my arm, and I guess that killed the engine also. Can some one tell me whats wrong, I dont want to get electrocuted everytime I want the engine killed.

Also, the engine is not very smooth and sputters once in a while, and the handle bar vibrates alot uncomfortably. How do I reduce this or is it just normal.

And one last question, on the carburetor there's a sliding switch thing, it has an arrow like this <-> with chinese symbols on both ends, what is it used to adjust? Thank you.

I can't answer all your questions, but it sounds like your kill switch isn't making it to ground and it tried to ground through you.

BTW- electrocuted = dead...which you clearly are not. You were shocked- glad to see its the latter and not the former. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the deal

You have two choices. Voltage to ground or return, or voltage up your arm. If you do not have good contact to bare metal for your kill switch, then you are the next choice . Path of least resistance. You have paint or clear coat on your bars. You need to mark where your kill switch metal is, remove the switch and then file a bare spot for your kill switch to touch its metal to the metal of the handle bar. Done.. Enjoy the ride..

oh so that's what grounded means, haha ok you should really make that clear in the installation guide for newbies to prevent further shock :)

"grounded" is a pretty-well established electrical term...i think you have to quit relying on your "noob-ness" as an excuse & stop blaming others because you don't know something...from now on, try "thank you! i did not know that, now i do because of your help." it's more gratifying to help someone who's making an effort than to be treated rudely just because we don't know that you don't know something.

how can you follow instructions if you skip unknown terms? if you encounter a term you don't know, google it before you go any further. you're on the web, fer cryin' out loud, there isn't anything you can't find on your own if you try.

you can either complain that i'm not being "noob-friendly" or you can view this as a FREE lesson about self-reliance.

not sorry...you asked for that...twice now.

go kick yer dog next time instead of folks who're trying to help you (it's a joke, do NOT kick dogs) :p

go kick yer dog next time instead of folks who're trying to help you (it's a joke, do NOT kick dogs) :p

LEGAL DISCLAIMER*

Motoredbikes.com does not condone the kicking of animals, cruelty towards animals or any heretofore mentioned cruelty of any kind.

* you're welcome

seriously though, WE WERE ALL NEWBIES AT ONE POINT! then we asked questions, we went on wikipedia, we went outside and messed with our bikes. We never once blamed anybody else for anything we ourselves did or through lack of knowledge failed to do - so stop using that as an excuse!

hehe...my first thought was "if we were talking about an electric stove or dryer, he'd be dead right now."

(and blaming maytag, no doubt)

seriously, Kncool, try a little humility & gratitude...this is a tight bunch, and it's way more fun to be "inside" than out :)

...this is a tight bunch, and it's way more fun to be "inside" than out :)

Way more fun. This group is by far the most comprehensive group of builders
I have found yet. I have been to numerous forums of the years of every concealable subject. MBc Rock!! It fills a gap of information and a much needed sense of camaraderie. Thank you Augie, Tom and the rest of the moderators and volunteers. You guys Rock!!!

Ok sorry everybody for my attitude, I know what grounded means but I ddint think it could be done by connecting the killswitch to the frame, and that the paint could prevent it from being grounded. Well my bike is running fine except that the kill switch still doesnt work, my engine doesnt start with it spliced in so I just took it off. Should I just buy another one on ebay? Thank you everyone, this site has helped me a lot.

I had the same problem with my throttle w/built-in kill switch,
when it shorted, the juice went through both arms and kinda paralyzed me for about 15 secs (felt a lot longer:rolleyes:)...
I thought I was gonna pass out!!! :eek:
now, I use a common 2 position switch from checker (cheap n reliable)

Attachments

• mini-IMG_1339.jpg
    mini-IMG_1339.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 426
Back