I got pulled over today.

Taylor - guy in Orange County gets cited-ticket dismissed

01-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Blaze

I got a ticket from a motorcycle cop in Orange County, CA. No helmet (that was my own fault 'cuz it's actually required here), no registration, and no insurance (I actually had a motorcycle license on me, so no ticket there). I went to traffic court to plead not guilty, but when I told the judge it was a bicycle with a 2-stroke motor on it, and not a motorcycle, he just dismissed the whole thing. As he looked at the ticket, I politely told him that the make of the bike, "Nirve", is a bicycle company, and the VIN number was really just a number the officer wrote down from a sticker on the bike. That pretty much ended it.

Not bad I guess, considering I drove it all over that neighborhood for over a year and only got stopped once.
Micargi Rover GX Beach Cruiser
with 600w 48v hub motor & 17Ah SLA's

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, as to the Arizona statute in particular, while motorized bikes, under state law, is exempt from several laws, it seems that many don't read the part of the statute after the exemptions:

B. This section does not prohibit a local authority from adopting an ordinance that regulates or prohibits the operation of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles, except that a local authority shall not adopt an ordinance that requires registration and licensing of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles.

C. For the purposes of this section, “motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle” means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.

A.R.S. Sec. 28-2516

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor: This may help you with your ticket

I took this post of Blaze's from the SpookyTooth forum. Thanks, Blaze and SpookyTooth!

Taylor, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Phew! I almost bought into the scare.:D

Big 3 Ticket In Orange County, CA (dismissed) 2007/01/04 04:05
I got pulled over in Irvine, CA, and was cited for no helmet (that one might have stuck), no registration, and no insurance (I'm a licensed motorcycle rider, so he didn't cite me for not having a license). I don't know how it works everywhere else, but here, you can go in and plead guilty and they will probably reduce your fines, or you plead not guilty and they give you a court date to come back and plead your case. The judge dismissed all three citations without it going to trial. I had some really good arguments ready, but it's probably best that it ended right there. That's not to say that I won't be back in there some day if I get ticketed again.

The citing officer has to write the vehicle make and VIN on the ticket. It sounded silly when I (politely) told the judge that the vehicle make, "Nirve", is a bicycle company, and the VIN was actually just a number written down from a sticker on the bicycle. When I mentioned that there was a lot of gray area in the California vehicle codes, he said that the vehicle codes are "ALL gray area". The judge dismissed all 3 citations.

That said, probably the best thing a motorized bicycle rider in California can do is carry a copy of V.C. 4020 ( http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4020.htm )on your bike, the same as you would carry your registration in your car. It says very plainly that motorized bicycles do not need to be registered (which suggests that they do not need insured either, although I could never find that in the vehicle codes). There are other vehicle codes that might say it does need to be registered, because sometimes they are lumped in with mopeds, and that's where the confusion starts. Carrying this with you (or a page or two from the laws in your area if you're not in CA) should help a lot, even though the CA vehicle codes contradict each other like crazy.

If you do have to go to court, be respectful. I went in well dressed, and did not take the attitude that this whole thing was stupid and they court owed me an apology. I went in with the attitude that the vehicle codes are unclear and I have made every effort to research them and build my bike to conform to those codes. Yeah, I was still pretty ****ed that a motorcycle cop who had just finished ticketing two kids on skateboards wanted to cite me for not having registration and insurance on a motorized bicycle, but I didn't bring that anger in to court with me. If the officer would have just given me the helmet ticket, I would have paid it and left it at that, but the other two tickets were going overboard (in CA, even adults are required to wear helmets on anything motorized).

I spent a LOT of time researching the vehicle codes, and the one biggest thing that I learned is that the bikes we ride are just not accounted for in the vehicle codes here, so they will fall under whatever codes a police officer thinks is close enough to match what you are riding. I have been riding it for a year (so has my friend that I built another one for) and only got stopped that one time, so most cops just consider it to be legally the same as Go-Peds, which are all over the place here.

One nice thing, though, is the absolute clarity regarding the exact same bike built with an electric motor. Electrics are very clearly defined in V.C. 406(b), and they require a helmet (as does everything here), but no registration or insurance, max speed 20mph, max power 1000 watts. At least it's nice to know that there should be absolutely no ticketing problems with the electric bike I am building with the 600W, 48volt kit I am getting from Spookytooth (it arrives tomorrow, 1/4/07), not that police would even notice the motor on it.

Also concerning electrics: There is a federal law stating that they are to be treated exactly the same as a normal bicycle, but I think that only applies in regards to safety requirements when they are being manufactured. I don't think that law actually makes them street legal, it just means they have to be built to the same safety standards as bicycles, not mopeds or motorcycles. Legality will be determined by local laws.

I guess the most important thing is to just be safe and not drive like a total maniac. Once you break the 20mph barrier on a motorized bicycle, you are really rolling the dice with the vehicle codes. That's the one thing that would really hard to fight in court (unless you were going downhill- most codes state 20mph on level ground).

Anyway, I hope there is something in here that is useful to somebody some day. I guess the cops in my area are just not so keen on ticketing the bikes as they are in Arizona, but then the only two I have seen so far are the two I built myself.

Any California dealers want to sponsor legislation?

Maybe we could use a legislative bill in California like the one SpookyTooth sponsored?

God knows we certainly need alternative forms of transportation in this state and the US for that matter. This just might be the time to do it.

Plus, this mess needs to be cleaned up. The laws regarding motorized bikes, that is.

Any dealers want to step up to the plate?

Yea Mike! Sponsor a bill!

I thought you only had to wear a helmet in CA if you were under 18? Did this law change? I don't wear a helmet right now, so I can get a ticket for it?
I was told the engine was a 48cc ;) I'm not doing over 20mph (or 30mph?)

Yea Mike! Sponsor a bill!

I thought you only had to wear a helmet in CA if you were under 18? Did this law change? I don't wear a helmet right now, so I can get a ticket for it?
I was told the engine was a 48cc ;) I'm not doing over 20mph (or 30mph?)

If you are riding a motor assisted bike, no matter what your age is, you have to wear a helmet.

How about it, Mike?

Where in the vehicle code is the law regarding insurance on mopeds?

If the definition of 406(a) didn't apply because of the term automatic transmission then the old law would still be in effect

Old Law
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4020.htm
4020. A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration.

Newer Law
5030. A motorized bicycle, as defined in Section 406, is required to display a special license plate issued by the department.

5031. An application by a person other than a manufacturer or dealer for a license plate for a motorized bicycle shall include all the following:

(a) The true, full name and the drivers license or identification card number, if any, of the owner.

(b) A description of the motorized bicycle, including any distinctive marks or features.

(c) Other information as may reasonably be required by the department to determine whether a license plate shall be issued for the motorized bicycle.

Amended Ch. 1221, Stats. 1994. Effective January 1, 1995.

5032. (a) The application for a special license plate for a motorized bicycle shall be made before the motorized bicycle is operated or moved upon a highway, except that, upon the retail sale of a motorized bicycle when there is no license plate, the operator may operate the motorized bicycle for a period of five days from and including the date of sale, at which time application shall be made to the department for a special license plate. If the fifth day should fall on Saturday, Sunday, or a holiday, the application shall be made on the first business day thereafter.

(b) The five-day operating provision set forth in subdivision (a) shall apply only if the operator has in his immediate possession evidence that the motorized bicycle was purchased within the last five days including the date of sale.

Added Ch. 1070, Stats. 1980. Effective January 1, 1981.

5037. (a) No motorized bicycle first sold on or after July 1, 1981, shall be moved or operated upon a highway unless the owner first makes application for a license plate and, when received, attaches it to the motorized bicycle as provided in this article.

(b) Motorized bicycles first sold prior to July 1, 1981, shall not be moved or operated upon a highway after January 1, 1982, unless the owner makes application for a license plate and, when received, attaches it to the motorized bicycle as provided in this article.

(c) Any motorized bicycle currently licensed pursuant to Division 16.7 (commencing with Section 39000) on July 1, 1981, may be operated upon a highway until July 1, 1982.

Added Ch. 1070, Stats. 1980. Effective January 1, 1981.

So, it finally happened today. I got rolled by a motorcycle cop. I was hoping it would be later rather than sooner, because I only finished my bike 3 weeks ago. It is a Schwinn Point Beach, powered by a Dax 70cc engine.

I was riding along a major street, and as I pulled onto my street, I heard "whoop-whoop". :eek: F*CK! Are you kidding me... So I pulled over, killed the engine, and hopped off the bike. I talked to the cop, and he said he pulled me over because I need to have all the same stuff a moped does. He listed off: turn signals, left side mirror, tail light, brake light, a moped license plate, a license plate light.... This whole time im thinking: "WTF, i can never get all this stuff onto my bike, so im done. Ill never ride it around here again" :censored:

I also, needed a Motorcycle helmet, M2 license, and insurance! "Man this bike is never gonna get used again... f*ck it" He was nice and didnt cite me for insurance, cause I had no idea i needed it. "Insurance for my bike?? WTF??" If he had cited me, it would of cost over $1000. :mad: :-/

What he did cite me for was: No motorcycle helmet, no M2 liscense, and no plates. I now have a court date on 6-27, and i go in front of a judge.

I guess my question is: what the **** do I do from here. Will I ever have a chance of riding my bike around here without turning it into a moped?

Sorry for all my *****iness. This is a ****in' great way to start my day

Thanks for any help guys,
Taylor

I bet the only reason he didn't nail you for insurance was because of no vehicle identifying VIN. I wonder what the fine is for no registration compared to not having insurance? Maybe it's was cheaper to pay the no registration fine than to pay insurance. : )

Last edited:
So do I have to get a license plate for my bike or not?

I don't think your ever will really be legal, a bike has no real VIN and can't be insured, but you can avoid getting hasseled by having an M2 license, getting a plate, wearing a helmet and making your bike street legal by getting the lights & mirrors.

Back