I got pulled over today.

Ya know it's not really "OUR" job to educate the police dept. They're suppose to know what the law's are or aren't. Believe me if they knew they would be beating us over the head with them. California is in love with making rules and regulations. I just hope they don't do something stupid and over the top with regard to motorized bikes....

Now on to the real issue's, "Helmet Hair"! I started out wearing a bicycle helmet, still wear it occasionally, (it's ventilated). I now own two Dot approved half helmets. I really think this is the way to go.

P.S. Watch out for those Bus and Taxi Cab drivers, it's very nice of them to let us use "THEIR" road.........!

i actually used to ride a motorcycle so yeah, helmet hair is better than having your brain all over the road. but helmet hair (again?)! argh! that was actually one reason why i went with motorizing my bike instead of buying a scooter or something...

so what to do when cops ask for proof of insurance? seems like it's really up to their interpretation...?

Taylor,

If memory serves me, I believe you said your court date was June 26.

Soooooooo, what happened?

Mary

Well, on Friday I went over to the court and stood in line then talked to a lady behind a window. I showed her my ticket, and what happened. I explained to her I was getting an M2 license, and my bike registration was in the mail. She explained that the plates AND the M2 were correctable violations, whereas the cop had only marked the plates as correctable. So basically she gave me an extension until August 11 to get all that taken care of. The remaining violation, no motorcycle helmet, is non correctable. However, she said If I brought in a helmet on my court day, and the fact i was wearing a bike helmet when I was pulled over, that the judge will most likely let me off on that. Once everything is taken care of, I should be able to walk away with no fines, and no points on my record. :) Thanks for all the help guys!!

Taylor

Clerks are prohibited from giving legal advice, she was being very nice.
Depends on the jurisdiction, really. If it was a state court, most likely you are correct. Lots of city courts, the clerks job entails advising folks all day long, and it is expected and encouraged.

My municipality's court clerks definitely inform me of anything I need to know when I call about a ticket. There's nobody else to tell you these types of things before the case!! Are we supposed to go straight to the judges and ask these basic & mundane questions?

The clerks help you understand procedure; they're not really giving any legal advice.

Back