I have just pulled the trigger for the newest Phantom 85 V-3

As I mentioned when I started this thread I will keep you informed on progress thus far.

Motor was delivered this afternoon...Everything was in the boxes that needed to be there so it was complete.

I was pleased when I examined everything...No metal filings or flakes found anywhere in the motor, no debris in the reed valve, the cylinder was independently wrapped in a cellophane shrink wrap, when examining the inside of the cylinder, all was absolutely smooth, no snags anywhere, in and out I found nothing that I needed to either file or grind, a real plus on these motors.

All the threading was drilled and threaded straight and proper, the cylinder studs were all straight and true as they should be as well.
The gaskets, cylinder, bottom end and studs all are in alignment with each other so should go together with zero problems when I decide to attach the piston to the wrist pin, needle bearing, and crank tomorrow.

I was also surprised to see that the rings were already on the pistons for me, all I got to do is compress them against the ring pins and push the assembly into the cylinder

At this point I then removed the magneto cover expecting to have to do a realignment of the magnets etc...To my surprise, it was not only tightened down properly, but also in perfect alignment already.

Next I removed the drive sprocket cover expecting things like the bucking bar and ball bearing as well as the clutch arm would all need to be greased up, Wrong Again, it was all lubed up properly so back on that cover went.

Now I remove the clutch cover knowing I am going to replace those lousy red clay clutch pads guaranteed to burn out to a nice toasty black in three days with a P-85...lol...There was no surprise here...crappy red clay clutch pads...I removed them, chucked them in the trash where they belong and replaced them with the black and white pads that I have bags full of just sitting here on hand...lol...The gears here had only a very small dab of grease and that dab was not even in between the gears themselves but just a small blob sitting on top of the small gear which obviously is useless there, so I did it my way with the white lithium grease and threw the clutch cover back on.

I have finished off what I am doing this evening with pre-lubing the bottom end with 2 stroke conventional oil and manually running the crank shaft assembly through it paces checking it for smooth operation etc...All appears quite well, tomorrow I will finish putting the motor all together...I might, or might not get it put on the bike tomorrow depending how I feel.

As I mentioned when I started this thread I will keep you informed on progress thus far.

Motor was delivered this afternoon...Everything was in the boxes that needed to be there so it was complete.

I was pleased when I examined everything...No metal filings or flakes found anywhere in the motor, no debris in the reed valve, the cylinder was independently wrapped in a cellophane shrink wrap, when examining the inside of the cylinder, all was absolutely smooth, no snags anywhere, in and out I found nothing that I needed to either file or grind, a real plus on these motors.

All the threading was drilled and threaded straight and proper, the cylinder studs were all straight and true as they should be as well.
The gaskets, cylinder, bottom end and studs all are in alignment with each other so should go together with zero problems when I decide to attach the piston to the wrist pin, needle bearing, and crank tomorrow.

I was also surprised to see that the rings were already on the pistons for me, all I got to do is compress them against the ring pins and push the assembly into the cylinder

At this point I then removed the magneto cover expecting to have to do a realignment of the magnets etc...To my surprise, it was already not only tightened down properly, but also in perfect alignment already.

Next I removed the drive sprocket cover expecting things like the bucking bar and ball bearing as well as the clutch arm would all need to be greased up, Wrong Again, it was all lubed up properly so back on that cover went.

Now I remove the clutch cover knowing I am going to replace those lousy red clay clutch pads guaranteed to burn out to a nice toasty black in three days with a P-85...lol...There was no surprise here...crappy red clay clutch pads...I removed them, chucked them in the trash where they belong and replaced them with the black and white pads that I have bags full of just sitting here on hand...lol...The gears here had only a very small dab of grease and that dab was not even in between the gears themselves but just a small blob sitting on top of the small gear which obviously is useless there, so I did it my way with the white lithium grease and threw the clutch cover back on.

I have finished off what I am doing this evening with pre-lubing the bottom end with 2 stroke conventional oil and manually running the crank shaft assembly through it paces checking it for smooth operation etc...All appears quite well, tomorrow I will finish putting the motor all together...I might, or might not get it put on the bike tomorrow depending how I feel.
Wow, my Phantom had some fine shavings in the bottom as well as the reed. My piston didn't come with rings installed, it was instead inside the jug with the rings almost wedged inside. When I pulled the baggy with the rings in it out it left a little mark on the cylinder wall, but my fingernail didn't caych it so I wasn't too concerned. I also had to adjust the coil gap in mine and I greased everything even though it was already greased.

Wow, my Phantom had some fine shavings in the bottom as well as the reed. My piston didn't come with rings installed, it was instead inside the jug with the rings almost wedged inside. When I pulled the baggy with the rings in it out it left a little mark on the cylinder wall, but my fingernail didn't caych it so I wasn't too concerned. I also had to adjust the coil gap in mine and I greased everything even though it was already greased.
Yours was that nice?

I just went ahead and ordered the newest Phantom 85 V-3 from bicycle-engines.com, since they have just received a brand new inventory shipment of them from the manufacturer....Until the 15th of the month, there is free shipping on the P-85 V-3

Needless to say, I am taking advantage of the free shipping while it's the deal being offered this month...lol...And don't forget they have a six month warranty on their motor kits.

My intention is to have the V-2 and the V-3 so I can simply swap motors back and forth as needed in case I have to do any R & R work on either/or as well as eventually convert the V-2 to the V-3 piston and cylinder down the road if I see a benefit to doing so.

I will of course keep everyone informed of my progress with this new one as to how everything goes for me down the road.

I'm expecting mine today :D

I have been curious myself as to the quality of that engine. I've been looking to upgrade from the Amazon kit I have been using. To be honest I ride my bike to and from work 5 days a week, 15 miles round trip

I have been curious myself as to the quality of that engine. I've been looking to upgrade from the Amazon kit I have been using. To be honest I ride my bike to and from work 5 days a week, 15 miles round trip
To add to this original post I live in the northern panhandle of west virginia, which means the weather here at this time of year is less then favorable for riding. I will say that the bike has done well for me. Yesterday morning I left around 3:30 am to head to work. It was raining pretty hard and the temperature was around 40°f. The bike did not stall or falter in any way. I was impressed

Back