I have to pedal my HT build for 1-2 mins before the motor kicks in! He

jamesloper

Local time
6:20 PM
Making this bike has been AWESOME. It's just getting broken in (got 30 miles on it so far) but one problem:

When I haven't ridden it in a few hours, I'll start pedaling, release the clutch, then for about 1-2 mins I have to pedal like theres no tomorrow. While the clutch is released and I'm pedaling, I hear the engine doing *something*...The pitch of whatever puttering sound its making changes as I change the position of the throttle but the engine doesn't actually propel me at all. It just makes noise. Now eventually it will start lunging forward for what seems like 1 revolution of the engine. Little blasts of power. And the frequency of the lunges will increase over the next 15 or so seconds until the engine is all warmed up and BAM high power awesomeness. From then on out, its AWESOME but I want to know how I can make it start up/warm up faster so I don't have to exhaust myself pedaling like crazy in the beginning.

TL;DR: I have to pedal for 1-2 mins before the motor kicks in.

Thanks MBc!

Haha I hope its that simple. The choke is set all the way down...is that the problem?

Try using various positions of choke, although I don't ever have to touch mine. Also there is a small button on the top of the carb. Sometimes it's helpful to press it down a few times. That button moves the float so the fuel bowl can fill up.

Actually, pull it all or most of the way up- do your start-up. Once you hear it start to kick, play with the throttle while you lock the clutch in disengage. Then reach down and slowly push the choke lever down by degree untill it hits the higher RPMs- then pedal up to speed and engage the clutch. How fast you can turn it off depends on local temperature, humidity, the number of cats that have wizzed on the tire and the fluctuations of the Dow-Jones. Just play it by ear... Here in Eastern Washington at this time of year it tends to get a bit nippy in the AM, I crank it all the way up and turn it about half-way untill I've gone about 150 to 200 feet and then turn it off.

I've tried tickling the choke and I can visibly see the gas goin in but it didn't seem to help. Maybe it lessens the time needed to warm up. I will check tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

mine was that bad when it was new. now that I have a couple hundred miles on it, it starts within a block or so from a cold start. About half choke works best for me for starting

I've tried tickling the choke and I can visibly see the gas goin in but it didn't seem to help. Maybe it lessens the time needed to warm up. I will check tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

what you are talking about "tickling" is the carb primer probably.
you push the primer button down a few times, which makes the float go up & down. this in turn "floods" the cylinder with some extra gas to help get the engin estarted.
flip the choke lever all the way up (choke closed) and try to start it. when you hear it fire, flip the choke lever down a little at a time and work the throttle. eventually you should have the choke lever all the way down (choke open) once the engine gets warmed up a little.
you need the choke in colder weather or it will take a long time for the engine to fire up. in colder weather, you need the choke because it richens the fuel-air ratio, (more gas than air)which makes it easier to start.

mine was that bad when it was new. now that I have a couple hundred miles on it, it starts within a block or so from a cold start. About half choke works best for me for starting
it takes a block or so for you to get your engine running on a cold start?

wow, i can get my engine running on a cold start (below 50 degrees outside) in my driveway which is less than 30 feet long.
pump the primer 4-5 timers, flip the choke up, coast down the driveway about 1/2 way, pop the clutch and pow...mine is running. flip the choke down and i'm good to go.

Back