I know I keep changing my mind...

with such a powerful engine. could I get away with running a clutch instead of a torque converter
Geared for 25mph top speed with a standard clutch and no tc, I'd expect it to be able to wheelie and do burnouts. So imo yes, absolutely. With that kind of power, in the interest of more ideal weight distribution and better balance, myself I'd opt for center frame mounting rather than rear rack. But that's just me.

how would I mount a gx160 in a frame though?
Custom mount plate. Either homemade or a modified mounting plate. Iirc, there are plates made for use with 212cc predator/harbor freight engines that might be modified. Of course, the bike frame needs to have enough space. No matter what mounting location you choose, frame selection is critical for safety and reliability. I always suggest choosing a frame first, rather than just trying to adapt to whatever you happen to have... Unless what you happen to have is already suitable ofc. Light-weight road bike frames can be pretty dangerous with an engine installed, for example.

ill go with a large v style frame which I can mount to. I can't really get beach cruisers in the uk

I'm thinking about pedal clearance now. with so much torque and such low gearing. 25mph at wot and 11n of torque(twice the amount of a gx100) I should only need to pedal to help the centrifugal clutch on startup. with a v frame the engine will be quite high up so would I need extended cranks / have others who did a predator 212 needed wide cranks.

I'm thinking about pedal clearance now. with so much torque and such low gearing. 25mph at wot and 11n of torque(twice the amount of a gx100) I should only need to pedal to help the centrifugal clutch on startup. with a v frame the engine will be quite high up so would I need extended cranks / have others who did a predator 212 needed wide cranks.
With that low of gearing on a bike that light you don't even need pedals. If I where to build something like that I'd put pegs on it and use a dirt bike wheel

can you use a dirt bike wheel in a bike frame?
also the engine weighs 40lbs so I don't think the bike will be light. with that low gearing will I not have to pedal slightly to help the centrifugal clutch as it is not a torque converter

can you use a dirt bike wheel in a bike frame?
also the engine weighs 40lbs so I don't think the bike will be light. with that low gearing will I not have to pedal slightly to help the centrifugal clutch as it is not a torque converter
Yes, dirt bike wheels fit is a bike frame, they just don't have a pedal sprocket. What I meant by light is my mini bike is geared at 4.1 to 1 and rolls from a dead stop pretty well, and it wighs a grat deal more than a bicycle.

Back