I love this Shift Kit

Macon

Local time
12:51 AM
I finally got around to installing my shift kit from Sick Bike Parts , and I must say it adds a whole new relam to motor biking. I put my motor and kit on an old ten speed touring bicylce, with back sprockets from 14 to 28 teeth which gives me a nice choice of riding ranges. The bike has 1 3/8's X 26" wheels which makes for smooth rolling resistance. I was surprized to see how well my bike climbed up a steep hill in Fremont , CA. , and I weigh the better part of 225. Jim has been very helpful with the few technical questions I had about the installation. Now when I go riding its nice to know that if I want to go faster than 15 mph I don't have to deal with the high rpm's and vibration plus the fun of shifting makes for a more interesting ride. Learning to start the motor from a pedal startup is a little tricky at first, but it is a skill you quickly master as long as your motor is in a good tuned up state. For the first time I can truly tell someone that my bike will really go 35 mph, although I rarely take it passed 28 mph. If anybody has any question about the shift kit's proformance feel free to ask. Macon

Good going, and glad to get the feedback!!:helmet:

Ride on :giggle: and have a great and festive :santa::santa3::elf: Holiday Season!!

Can you tell me how many of your gears the shift kit actually uses? Do you find yourself skipping gears during the acceleration process? What about slowing down?

I can't speak for Macon, but I use all my gears most of the time, but sometimes I skip gears. Not as much as Jim does in our video. I live in a pretty hilly area so I run through the gears without skipping, to keep the RPM's as even as possible. Slowing down, if I'm coming to a stop, I just put it into first from whatever gear I'm in.

Like riding a bicycle. Just click the shifter (I like a grip shifter). Yes - It is best to let off power (no need to clutch). I have power shifted to hammer on my deraileur - just to see if it would explode or something. It didn't. But speed/power shifting under full throttle is a bit jarring and eventually it must be pretty hard on the whole drive train.

I see. Sorry for so many questions Pablo. I am still quite new to this. One more question about the clutch. If a guy wants to ride around with the engine off, I think one pulls the clutch in. Is there a way to lock the clutch in for a longer ride? I would think your hand would get fatigued after a while otherwise.

Thanks for the practical help.

So you don't have a MB? There is a push button lock for the clutch lever.

I have an old Schwinn Continetal ten speed I am going to put an engine on it in the spring. It has down tube style shifters on it but the are on the head tube will the shift kit work with those type of shifters? I would really like to keep them if possible. Once I get the bike built I will be putting up some photos for every one. I have to say this is one of the best sites on the internet. Thanks for you help in advance
Jim

Back