I made a stamped metal motor dataplate anyone interested ?

While I had the cover off my 48cc grubee roundhead clutch linkage, I looked closely at the little Yuan Dong metal plate that said the motor is a 48cc/2hp engine. I figured the plate might hopefully save me from excessive harrasment someday. Unfortuately the important info is only painted on. I decided to make a more durable, official looking tag as replacement. I have an embossing press which makes tags used on foundry patterns. The raised letter are pressed into an aluminium strip. The one I made for my motor is 1/2 inch wide by three inches long. The ends are curved and punched with a hole where the plate can be riveted on. Double stick andhesive such as car emblems are mounted with or epoxy could also be used. If it is okay with Tom, Augidog and forum policy, I will make these available to forum members for a small fee to cover materials cost and mailing. Since I wouldn't know what size engine you actually have, I'll have to make them all say 48cc hehehehehehe!
Frontside
168_P1094016dataplate_frontside_1.jpg

backside
168_P1094016dataplate_backside_1.jpg

168_P1094011dataplate_magcover_1.jpg

168_P1094012dataplate_under_1.jpg

168_P1094013dataplate_upper_1.jpg

dataplate price

How does $3.00 sound + .50 for postage or $3.00 and mail me a SASE. Multiples no extra postage as long as they fit in one envelope.
I have to buy the metal in a long coil from a foundry suppy, so I should have enough to make as many as needed.

I am very interested. I am confused as to how to mount them however.

I mean, where do you put it? How would I utilize those 2 holes? I want to have it so if I get pulled over...it claims it's legal. I don't care if it is or not.

If you can make replicas really well...send a pic...and tell me how to mount it...and I will gladly send you $3.50 for one.

Thanks,
Chris

seems to me his pics and text answer all your questions nicely already, chris :)

you guys realize these are only for "display" purposes, right? i'm sure he wouldn't encourage anyone to break any laws 8)

Awesome idea, I'll send ya some money too. I think they would make a nice paperweight, seeing as how I don't actually have a 48cc engine.
"This thread will self-destruct in 10...9...8....."

mounting holes

The holes punched in ends of the dataplate are for mounting the plate with screws or rivets. The holes can be enlarged if desired. Any of the removable covers( drive sprocket cover, magneto cover or gearcase cover) can be drilled out to match the holes in the plate. Don't drill holes in the crankcase because the case must be vacuum tight to scavange the fuel into the engine. If crankcase mounting is desired, the use of a high temperature tolerant adhesive is recommended. JB Weld is a possiblity.

Very nice and you are right it might save you some trouble. The only problem I can see is the way the law reads in many places not only is the engine supposed to be less then 50cc but it is also supposed to generate 1hp or less. You might want to go with just the 48cc tag and just not mention the HP rating.

48cc only

Mile High Chop-Ped wrote:"The only problem I can see is the way the law reads in many places not only is the engine supposed to be less then 50cc but it is also supposed to generate 1hp or less. You might want to go with just the 48cc tag and just not mention the HP rating." I could make a dataplate that way as well. Anyone wanting this style just mention 48cc no hp in their request.

Cool

That is a good idea. Cops around here do not even seem to care about my bike though. I just hit the kill switch and start pedaling just in case though. Good idea though

Back