i need a CHEAP TANK quick!

E

eltatertoto

i dumped my bike today and i JUST got it set to my liking , and one of the studs broke, and now my bike is leaking like a siv, and the timing belt broke in my ma's car and i have no way of getting around cause my dad works, and his car is treated like gold lol he would prefer to drive through a foot of snow rather than get it a little salty lol it goes to the car wash 1nce a week AT LEAST and my racing motored bike has 2 high a center of gravity to ride on snow or ice safley, so anyone know where i can get a tank in the next couple of days QUICKLY AND CHEAPLY? i have 20 bucks to my name thanks, the neighbors wernt afarid to shovel 2 inches of fluffy snow :( but obviously the plows were, the streets are solid ice-frozen snow or when i take the tank off tommrow i will take pics of the damage, i dont think the stud actually broke off, but i dont know i know i was so p.o., and hurt so badly, i put it in the shed and came in, i got som seirous brusies comin my way :( so mabey a temp fix? i wouldnt have the slightest idea how though. i figure im gonna have to start off to schoool on foot at least a 1/2 hr early, that meands im leavin the house at five 30 cause we have to be in the gym to talk etc by 6 30

Last edited by a moderator:
Tater, does your dad have a mapp gas torch? You can get the tank and head for around 18 bucks. Then get some flux and filler rod. Drain it, sand it, heat it, flux it or use Borax dry soap then apply filler rod. Do not over heat as you will cave in and probably want some distance between you and the house while doing it. If you can't afford the filler rod, use thin stripped coat hanger.
May the farce be with you!

Tater, does your dad have a mapp gas torch? You can get the tank and head for around 18 bucks. Then get some flux and filler rod. Drain it, sand it, heat it, flux it or use Borax dry soap then apply filler rod. Do not over heat as you will cave in and probably want some distance between you and the house while doing it. If you can't afford the filler rod, use thin stripped coat hanger.
May the farce be with you!

Aaaah, the ole coat hanger trick. Doc, did you ever have a muffler shop? :)

Tater, I have an extra tank. You could have it, but the shipping from here would cost more than a new tank there. Also, you want to purge the tank of fumes some how before you put a flame to it.

Denny

im pretty sure he has a butane torch, i dunno what else he has, i was almost thinking of mabey getting a used sportster tank as they seem to be the best for these bikes, i couldnt use my dads without it loking stupid, cause he has the 2 tanks that u connect with a pipe, or somthing, never been there when he takes them on/off, but i dont have a dashboard type thing to go in the middle, speedo etc, but that would work perfect though, have a speedo there and a key, to use the kill switch backwards etc but probablly too big, man im trailing off here lol but i might just remove the tank off o my racin bike, but the less work the better lol and with my luck id break the studs over tightining it lol what would you reccomend, when the tank broke it covered my engine in gas , it might have dried up, but what would you reccomend, my hose is frozen, so no wash off, and i really dont wanna tote buckets 200 feet just to wash it off, and risk wetting the mag. or the water turning to ice

just to be clear were talking about the bike in the pic next to my name

Last edited by a moderator:
hey doc u said u lived in porter, u ever been to gary stroud racing? he used to be valpo harley, now theyre on 30. if u own a harley u know him, my dad goes there pretty much to have his engins broke down and borred out ect do u have any idea what he would charge 4 a used tank? lol its a real long shot but i figured id ask.

If it isn't wet, it shouldn't bother anything by now. Confined fumes are what you have to worry about. Might have some snow around in case some got into the mag, or somewhere it could ignite. Other than that, gas is fairly hard to ignite after it fumes off for a while...no explosions at least. I blew up a tank from a car at about your age soldering up a seam. Have a healthy respect since then. :rolleyes:

Also make sure you dry your tank before using the epoxy and give the epoxy a full day to dry before filling your tank w/ gas.

ok guys, i went outside, and the hole is at the stud, so i duno if its fixable, it was bent pretty far, but for now i just removed the tank from the racin bike and put it on my schwinn, last time i did that the jet clogged up so well see.......... i really need to get some fuel filters, but i cant go anywhere cause the car is broke. and this morning my dad went outside, and his battery is shot and my mas tire is flat on top of the timing belt so we cant even tow it! i think well be using fix a flat cause if we put on the spare, the back left tire will b off the ground, the front right it flat, cause my dad put huge mag racin wheels on there, z racing i think, (she has a 96 neon) pretty sporty lol i know this sounds really stupid, but with out boat we just duc tape it and that seems to work, what do you think? the gas probabllly eat through the tape though huh?

I was gonna say a free fix is to scrouge around junk piles for old lawnmowers and take the gas tank out of that. Then duck tape it around your frame and attach the fuel line then you're all set till you get your tank fixed or replaced.

Back