I need a little help with the registration of a motorized bicycle.

Paavan127

Hello, I live in NJ, and would like to try making a motorized bicycle. According to the my local MVC website, a bicycle with an engine less than 50cc is classified as a moped; and if it has an engine more than 50cc, or has gears(jackshaft), it is classified as a motorcycle and you need a motorcycle license to ride it.:rolleyes:. I'm okay with registering it, but considering that it is going to be homemade, and hence won't have a VIN, I suppose it will be quite tough to do. I just want to ride it around the neighborhood, and maybe to college once I graduate HS. Can I have some advice on how to register the bike, or any other options that I have.

Thanks! -Paavan127

Paavan127

If ya want to register a homemade M/C you can make up your own Vin#
I've looked at other threads as well in which people say that you can make up your own VIN, or use the bicycle's serial number. Is it true though? Has anybody done it before? Because the VIN is a part of legal documents for cars, and I have yet to learn that somebody made up their car's VIN. If you buy a moped/scooter from a company, they can issue a VIN for the moped/scooter. If you build your own, and you issue your own VIN, then is it still legal?
Second question: The MVC's website also mentions a Manufacturers' Certificate of Origin. What is it? According to Wikipedia: "A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO), also known as a Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO), is a specified document certifying the country of origin of the merchandise required by certain foreign countries for tariff purposes, it sometimes requires the signature of the consulate of the country to which it is destined."(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturer's_Certificate_of_Origin). Is it something that I have to worry about?

(https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/mopedatv.htm V V V)

Chainlube

Does your State have a provision for u-built vehicles? Happens all the time in the hot rod/hot bike world.

I bought this engine from Mr.???? , here's the receipt and this metal from Metal Mart, here's the receipt. ETC. If it's a car, most likely need a safety, a motorcycle or trailer maybe not.

Paavan127

Thanks for all the answers! I'm relatively new to the motorized bicycle world and I wanted to try building one. I just wanted it to be legal and had a couple of questions about that. I'll have to try it out, and maybe ask some questions at the MVC before trying to go ahead and register it.

DAMIEN1307

This, from the forums made for an intersting read regarding NJ and motorized bicycles...hint...need to talk to your local PD...DAMIEN