I need advice on building a commuter bike

C

Clarke

I've been riding a cheap walmart bike to and from work for about a month now, and i want to upgrade to a nice 4 stroke bike to help me out.
1. Can a cheap bike withstand the rigors of a friction drive 4 stroke? (Bike in question is the roadmaster granite peak bike, and the motor is the lock n load 38cc 4 stroke from bikeberry)
2. How much would a good reliable 4 stroke go for? (Bike included)
3. If i do end up buying a completely new bicycle, should i get it pre built or build it myself?
4. How much maintenance should i expect from a 4 stroke in general?

Any and all advice is much appreciated thanks (also, i am aiming for a reliable commuter bike, as cheap as possible)

Hey, you've made a great choice by choosing to go with a Friction Drive. I had a Staton-Inc with a Subaru engine and that thing was super reliable, good speed, good hill climbing power, and very easy to maintain.

1. Yes your bike should handle it just fine, just make sure all your nuts and bolts are tight and SECURE.
2. This ranges...most people like the Huasheng engines which are a Honda clone. They are pretty inexpensive and pack a punch but do require some care.
3. I would keep your bike for now and save the money, otherwise pre-built or building your self is up to you. Etiher way an engine will work.
4. It depends, if you're talking about a in-frame mounted 4-stroke those take a lot of effort to set up AND maintain. Friction drive kits take 1-4 hours to install and require little maintenance -- just changing the engine's oil, and making sure all the bolts are secure.

Since your are looking for as cheap as possible, I would firstly keep your bike.
I can not speak on BikeBerry's kits, but they look decent. I think you should go for the 49cc if you're going to get the 38cc. It's just $40 more and packs a lot more power. Also there's a ton of info online about the 49cc and how to care for it (break in, oil changes, etc).

Other FD kits to consider:

http://staton-inc.com/store/
http://www.thatsdax.com/

Staton-inc has kits for $350 with HONDA engines. They may have less HP than the generic Chinese engines but they will prove to be very reliable with the proper care. Good luck my friend!

I just installed a Staton 35cc kit with a 1" roller on a Huffy Cranbrook in July. It does the business just fine, although I might opt for a bike with suspension. Just saying.

Back