I need your help on trailer pusher construction...

M

macarollo

I am looking to buy a edger engine (2 HP B&S, older, but it runs apparently) and a trailer See pictures.

Owner of the engine wants $15
Owner of the trailer wants $90 (must be newer, maybe I could talk him down)

How hard would it be to mate the engine to the rear wheel? I think the edger has a pulley system. Would it be easier to use pulleys to connect to the wheel.... or is there not enough room and I would need to use a sprocket?

I would rather not go friction drive, unless that is the only option.

Give me some ideas so I can decide if I want to buy the engine/trailer.

Attachments

• Trailer.JPG
    Trailer.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 739
  • edger.jpg
    edger.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 658
JMO, you could make a trailer which would be much shorter than this 35.1-inch trailer.

Look for MotorMac and S.Baudry's trailers on this forum and pick up pointers. MotorMac's trailer is especially compact and tucks close and to the right of the rear wheel.

I tried to look for the posting motormac did on the trailer he built and couldn't find it if anyone else can find it could you please post a link. Thanks

I tried to look for the posting motormac did on the trailer he built and couldn't find it if anyone else can find it could you please post a link. Thanks

Here is a classic design.......

Attachments

• Bernadi Motor Attachment-Trailer 1893.jpg
    Bernadi Motor Attachment-Trailer 1893.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 694
I put in a couple of photos to show how easy it is to add a pusher. One is obviously made from a mini bike with the front missing and the drive bar added instead. The other is the famous motor wheel, I put it up to show another method you could use, it would be difficult to reproduce in that fashion but you get the idea for a placement. There is one out there that uses the idea of the wheel next to the bike wheel, only his is a small wheel with the engine over the top driving down to the sprocket on the wheel. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

• side_closeup.jpg
    side_closeup.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,362
  • 93262153_2thumb_550x410.jpg
    93262153_2thumb_550x410.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 635
I really like that mini-bike trailer!

If building a trailer, I HIGHLY recommend good bearings. I was using the regular cheap bearings, and would replace them almost monthly! Get some go-kart bearings at www.mfgsupply.com and they are only 2.00 each.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/AZ8205.html?id=G5TBTACM

I replaced all 4 of my axle bearings, and wheel bearings with them and have had no failures yet. However, they are press-bearings and I recommend grinding a slight surface of metal out of the middle of the bearings so they slide onto the axles and won't need to be pressed. (use a dremel with a chainsaw sharpening stone to grind the bearings)

Back