I now understand the definitation of "break in peroid"

Anime2019Master

Local time
10:20 AM
So I got an engine, a nice looking 2 stroke from bicyclemotorworks, and it was a ton of issues from the start. Installation was pretty straight forward, getting it to start wasn't too difficult. Keeping it going was another story. No matter what i did, it wouldnt idle. B4 the first tank was gone, the fuel pettock was leaking, an worse, half the first tank poured out the back, the carb float had a crack an became a sink. The CDI also quit. I replaced all three. Next tank, still a decently heavy oil mixture since half leaked out, didn't fair much better. This issue was a head scratcher. For 3 months I piddled over the engine, trying to find the cause. When I dropped the clutch, it just sounded like sliding, the piston wouldn't cycle unless moving extremely slow. Obviously it wouldnt start like this. Bought a couple spacers to add a bit more room for the piston, which sort of helped. I still couldn't get up to speed and drop the clutch, it'd just grind, but I could leave the clutch out, and after MUCH effort, it sometimes would turn over. It still would not idle, no matter how I adjusted the idle screw. Eventually this turned out to be a temporary fix, it went back to refusing to start. I added more spacers, but even with all 5 I had it didn't fix the issue, which is just as well, bc I was losing too much compression with that much space anyway. I bought and replaced the main drive gear, figuring that might be the issue. It was not. Took the engine completely apart trying to find it. Finally, I decided to tighten the clutch a bit more. I had to get it to the point that I have to manually hold it in when not running, (the catch left it rubbing the pads) but that did it. Now it starts right up pretty easily. I'm at the point now I've lowered the mixture and switch to synthetic oil. I had to turn the screw nearly all the way in, but I even got it to idle properly now. All in all, it's a great hassle to get it running good, but once you do, it tons of fun, I've put about 250 miles on it now. If you're mechanically inclined or just like to tinker, this is a great purchase. I look forward to many more miles. With all the trouble I had, I've become quiet adept at working on the engine, so I expect I can replace anything that goes wrong. Over all, I give it 8/10. They can be a hassle to get running right, but once you do, it's well worth the purchase.

Last edited:
Man let us know where you bought your motor so we can avoid your problems.
But I argue that the motor is not broke in until you put 800 miles on it you get an improvement on speed and power.

I almost forgot, my back tire is showing threads. Like alot of them lol. As I'm using doing about 32-37mph, i dont need a blow out, so I've had to shelve it until I get a new tire, which is just as well cause it's far too cold to be riding anymore anyway.

Same happened to me. I had a 4cm spot where I could see the threads. I just ignored it. Well, guess what. It exploded right in front of a church at like 7pm. It sounded like a gunshot. It was VERY loud. Everyone came outside their houses looking around from their balcony or their door. I was trying to get out of there as soon as I could...

If you don't want to have to push your bike home, I think you should replace the outer tire.

Back