I think I'm about done motoring for the winter..

Well, that's cool tater. It's too bad you can't pedal. But it looks like you know how to have fun in the winter, anyway. And there's always hope for the future. Just don't injure yourself any further, okay?

Nothing too big to report on the bicycle commute last night and this morning. I did get overheated pretty badly going into work and I was half-sick part of the night and exhausted all of the night. Made it kinda hard. So this morning I rode partway home, then caught a bus for the one bad uphill that's on my way and then rode the rest of the way home. That wasn't bad at all.

I've definitely got to work out the proper clothing for particular temperatures. but it won't take long. I've already learned a bit. It seems that I don't need my heavy winter coat yet. A cotton spring/fall jacket (with some layers underneath) will do until it gets colder.

I'm looking forward to riding in the winter. I'm gonna have to consult with AlaskaVan and get a good notion on how he makes his studded tires.

see y'all around.

How to stud your tires

1) Go to Wal Marts

2) Bring money.

Attachments

• Photo0749.jpg
    Photo0749.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Photo0750.jpg
    Photo0750.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 300
you guys are inspirational! ive had hypothermia from rideing several times & the older ya get the more days it takes to thaw & get back to normal, i was more adventureous as a younger rider regarding the weather now like you all ive learned to be more prepared! our big thing here on the coast is the winter rains for 8 months, its a toss up scuba suit or rain gear!

It's probly not gonna rain here again 'til May, so I'll be riding again. I can gear up for the cold, but it's really a bummer to have the rain finally find it's way through your gear about 20 miles into a 33 mile ride. And it casts a bit of a pall on the day, knowing that I'll be wet, and therefore cold, for the whole 33 miles back home. And then I have to get a fire going to start warming up again. I'm glad the rain is done. Let it snow.

personally id prefer the snow also. but not coupled with the ice. around here we have crappy plow services so there is alot of white compacted roads, and the roads that are plowed usually have tons of black ice. i end up riding with both legs out so as not to fall over. by the way, i rode today in the 25 degrees and i was actually comfortable! thanks to my early christmas present. artic carheartts!

I never knew that worm-mart actually carried studded tires. good for them.

And thanks for pointing it out LF.

Now I've got to find out if they stock them in my location.

yeah, i've always bike commuted through the winter here in Colorado Springs. It's colder riding the motorbike instead of a pedal bike.

Yesterday I ordered a
mx helmet,
Motocross Helmet
leather thinsulate gloves
Gloves
and a neoprene face cover off of ebay.
Neoprene Mask

Did not know that walmart had studded tires. I've paid dearly for them over the internet before for my 700c wheels.

It's fun in the winter when the cars are in gridlock and you can just zip past them all....laughing up a storm.

Dress warm!

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thanks for the links, PC8

I use a similar face mask. it's neoprene, wrap around velcro back. I haven't used it yet, though, 'cause it's not that cold yet. but using that and wide safety glasses seems to give better face protection than any face shield I've found yet.

I've been pondering something for years. Picture a cheap rubber hose. Maybe 5/8 in ID.
Drill holes in it every few inches or so. Now wrap it under your armpits and around your back or your upper belly with the two ends sticking up out of your collar. While you're riding air ought to flow through this and it ought to cool us down a bit. It would be a crude radiator. When you start getting chilly, then you just poke the ends down under your collar.

It would be very inexpensive. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

Back