I think I've found my niche!

t6driver

Local time
1:51 PM
Hello to all! I've always been a tinkerer but that aside, the rising cost of gas prices has driven me to look at motorcycles as a gas saver. I hadn't really thought of gas powered bicycles since I've never see them around... but when I found this site... Wow! I think even my wife is OK with a powered-cycle since I already have and ride a road bike. I'll be looking around for ideas and the best fit for me... any suggestions on a starter?

Thanks, Luke

Well what kind of bike do you have?
Since you at a tinkerer I would recommend one of the 2stroke frame mounts if you have a bike it will fit into. I won't recommend any vendors, but there are a couple you can choose from.

And WELCOME TO MBC!

Last edited:
Hello, Luke. And welcome.
Recommending a particular set-up might be tricky. After all, there are a handfull of different types, each with strengths and weaknesses.

I went for two 2-stroke, chain drive types for no other reason than price. They are the cheapest. And I've been happy with both. They require a bit of tinkering, but they are entirely usable and fun to ride. When I need more bikes, I might go with the same setup or I might go with electric for the sake of simplicity.

If you read plenty of posts you're sure to find advantages with 4-strokes and with rack mounts, etc. And you'd do well to consider them, too.

I'll make one prediction; whatever one you choose you'll have a great time.

so have fun.

Thanks for the responses!

KiDD:

I have an eighty-something road bike with a strait frame... however, I will probably purchase another bike to put a motor on. Any suggestions for a long distance bike?

Bluegoat:

I was thinking of going with a 2 stroke for the price but do they last long? I would like to be able to set up for long 3-6 hr rides (pedal assisted of course).

If you are trying to go long distances I would change my recommendation to a more reliable four stroke engine kit. 3-6 Hr rides for a 2 stroke are just about impossible. You would need to rest the engine (and your butt) from what I hear when riding long distances. As for a bike just about any bike will do, just pick one that is comfortable for you to ride 3-6 hrs at a time.

I would highly recommend a rack mounted setup. They will fit most any bike and give a much more comfortable ride with less vibration and all the engine noise is behind you. Most rackmounts are easily pedaled without power with zero drag with little or no adjustment between motored and non motored riding. I have a "happytime" chinese 2 stroke and a Staton Nuvinci rack with a mitsubishi 2-stroke. The difference is night and day. I would take my staton anywhere but im always worried about equipment failure with my HT engine despite countless upgrades.
Just an FYI

Back