I want to install a suicide clutch on my 79cc predator build

RocketJ

I love the 1910 era of bikes. Board track racers are my favorite and I plan on revamping my existing BTR build to a more authentic style with a 79cc predator engine and proper clutch system. In addition to the engine swap, I want to try my hand at installing a suicide shift (pulley clutch). As far as I understand, I would need 2 pulleys, a belt that is slightly too big for the pulleys and a pulley arm to force friction between the belt and pulleys once I engage the clutch. My main question is, what belt size would be needed if I used a generic torque converter clutch mount?

Will'smotobikes19

Hmm I don't know really my bike just has a centrifugal clutch I don't mess with manual stuff but there's a guy on YouTube named Olivermotorized who made I think a 2 speed manual 79cc but he deleted the pedals and used foot shifter.

Herman Klutz

We built one using an extra pulley to tighten the drive belt back in 1959. It had a pulley on the engine shaft and another on the rear wheel. Then a third pulley on a pivot that would tighten the belt. I don't remember much about it, except that it would run us around the farm. My uncle really did the build. It had a B&S engine that came off a reel type mower. We rode it all over the county, I was a USAF dependent, in 1960 we went overseas, when we came home 3 years later it was gone, nobody seemed to remember what happened to it.

james65

I have used the belt tighting method on several builds (had no problems). Also incorperated a variable sheave to give a variable ratio drive.