RocketJ

Local time
7:46 PM
I love the 1910 era of bikes. Board track racers are my favorite and I plan on revamping my existing BTR build to a more authentic style with a 79cc predator engine and proper clutch system. In addition to the engine swap, I want to try my hand at installing a suicide shift (pulley clutch). As far as I understand, I would need 2 pulleys, a belt that is slightly too big for the pulleys and a pulley arm to force friction between the belt and pulleys once I engage the clutch. My main question is, what belt size would be needed if I used a generic torque converter clutch mount?

Hmm I don't know really my bike just has a centrifugal clutch I don't mess with manual stuff but there's a guy on YouTube named Olivermotorized who made I think a 2 speed manual 79cc but he deleted the pedals and used foot shifter.

drive rear wheel with big loose belt - use hand lever to tighten belt

We built one using an extra pulley to tighten the drive belt back in 1959. It had a pulley on the engine shaft and another on the rear wheel. Then a third pulley on a pivot that would tighten the belt. I don't remember much about it, except that it would run us around the farm. My uncle really did the build. It had a B&S engine that came off a reel type mower. We rode it all over the county, I was a USAF dependent, in 1960 we went overseas, when we came home 3 years later it was gone, nobody seemed to remember what happened to it.

I have used the belt tighting method on several builds (had no problems). Also incorperated a variable sheave to give a variable ratio drive.

Back