Idaho - The Rules, Common Sense, and My Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since moving to Nampa Idaho, I recently checked city code and found this. No confusing stuff regarding mopeds and technicalities and whatnots.

6-5-1: DEFINITION:

The term "bicycle" is defined as a vehicle consisting of a tubular metal frame mounted on two (2) large, wire spoked wheels, one behind the other, and equipped with handlebars and a saddlelike seat. It is propelled by foot pedals or, sometimes, by a small gasoline motor. (Ord. 2362; amd. Ord. 2716)

In the same county and one city over is Caldwell. Here's some good stuff from there.

09-17-15: TRAFFIC LAWS APPLY:

Every person riding a bicycle shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle, except as those provisions of law which by their nature can have no application. (1962 Code, Section 11-14-8)

09-17-21: SPEED:

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a bicycle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then existing. (1962 Code, Section 11-14-11)

09-17-33: LAMPS AND OTHER EQUIPMENT:

(1) Every bicycle, when in use at nighttime, shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet (500') to the front and red reflector on the rear of a type which shall be visible from all distances from fifty feet (50') to three hundred feet (300') to the rear when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle. A lamp emitting a red light from a distance of five hundred feet (500') to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector.

(2) Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the brake wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement. (1962 Code, Section 11-14-17)

I live in Gem County - Emmett to be more precise. I was stopped by the local sheriff on my maiden voyage to town on my 4-cycle build. The officer informed me that my vehicle is classified as a moped under Idaho code and thus required a valid Idaho driver's license to operate it on Idaho roadways. He stated that lights (unless riding at night) horns and mirrors were not required and that I couldn't go over 30 MPH. He seemed like he was well informed and knew the law (or had experince with other moped conversion riders). After I produced my driver's license he told me to ride safe and beware of Emmett's speed limits. Some streets are 20 MPH while others are 25 MPH and that the city police will ticket me for speeding if I chose to do so through town.

This is my most recent experience with the police while riding in Idaho. It seems that the interpretation of the law varies from town to town and even from cop to cop. I'm always keeping a copy of Idaho title 49 and a motocycle rider's handbook with me at all times and suggest other riders in idaho do to.

I live in Gem County - Emmett to be more precise. I was stopped by the local sheriff on my maiden voyage to town on my 4-cycle build. The officer informed me that my vehicle is classified as a moped under Idaho code and thus required a valid Idaho driver's license to operate it on Idaho roadways.
Sorry I'm late to the party. I'm also a Idaho resident.

I believe the officer was mistaken or misinformed. Idaho does not recognize the moped as a "motor vehicle", nor does it require a driver's license for any vehicle that is exempt from titling & registration - which clearly applies to the moped because it is exempt from titling & registration.

You can verify the info at:

49-123 (g) and 49-114 (9) (a) and (b)

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back