Idea: 12V eBay motor as generator for lights/accessories

Go over to Endless Sphere and search similar. I have read about conversions of brushless hobby
motors there.

You need an output of volts that is more than you need, as in 12 volts to provide 9, then use a voltage regulator to control the output to the end source. Best to add in a battery to be charged and the lights etc., being powered off of the battery with your dynamo or generator charging it. This will provide a more uniform voltage to the end user items.

Voltage regulators from 6 volt motorcycles can be wired in as a regulator. The 12 volt bottle dynamo for bicycles should provide enough power to keep a 6volt batter charged. if the output is equal or less the battery will never get charged, and when the dynamo stops, the lights will fail. This is according to a motorcycle mechanic, I have not tried it, I am still using a 6volt latern battery light.

I believe your motor voltage needs to b 4 times greater than the output of voltage wanted/needed. So I believe you need a 48v or greater permanent magnet motor, then the faster you spin the motor the more voltage it makes. & a voltage regulator must be used, unless you match your motor to your given rpm range.

1.2 volts? Is that a/c? Is there a voltage regulator? You need diodes for dc voltage.

I can see a lithium battery under the seat or hidden somewhere working... The thought of something rubbing on the tire like the old Bendix ones that were 6volt... Faster you go the brighter it gets... Bulb would smoke at 13mph

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I can see a lithium battery under the seat or hidden somewhere working... The thought of something rubbing on the tire like the old Bendix ones that were 6volt... Faster you go the brighter it gets... Bulb would smoke at 13mph
use a llittle voltage regulator like a lm2596. you need the lowest voltage motor possible. my friend had a little 2 ah 12v battery out of a security system, on a bike. he charged it over the weekend. use one of those weak charging systems to trickle charge the battery

1.2V sounds right for those little hobby motors. And that's all you'll ever get out of it. Essentially you've created a "pulse generator". Those hobby motors usually have permanent magnets in the can instead of a wire wound stator. A voltage regulator won't do anything because there is nothing to regulate. You cannot regulate the permanent magnets. Because they are what they are, and that's all they'll ever be. The generator in grandpa's '56 Chevy worked because the regulator controlled the field of the wire wound stators inside the generator frame. Essentially strengthening or weakening the electo-magnetic field of the stator. Does that make sense?
This was not a wasted exercise if we all learned something from it! ;)

Back