Idea for a supercheap ebike made from a repurposed vacuum cleaner motor, UPS batteries, rusted walmart bike, and electrical junk from home depot.

Kw or hp is a derivative of being able to move a fixed amount of weight, a certain distance, within an allotted amount of time.

That's why torque is more accurate.

A diesel engine can have 300hp and 900tq. A typical gas engine is close to square. All hp graphs will have hp/tq conviene at 5250 rpm. A typical diesel might not see 5250, so hp is anemic, and tq is fantastic

Edoted beavuse I didn't have my spectacles on

As the title suggests, I've got some parts I think I could use. I've seen an older thread about using a vacuum motor, but it was just asking if it could be used.

What I have:
-A 1.2 amp 120v universal motor from a vacuum cleaner
-Two 7ah 12v batteries from a UPS
-A 12v to 120v inverter rated at 150 watts
-An old 24" bicycle sitting in my shed
-No regards for how it looks

I'm thinking I could maybe use a dimmer switch to adjust the speed of the bicycle, don't currently have one on hand.

I weigh 120 pounds, do you think the ~140 watt motor would be capable of maintaining at least 10 mph? How should I mount everything without welding, duct tape? zip ties? screwing into the frame?
Um....no, I don't think it's a really good idea. I bilt my 1st ebike some 20 years ago with 2 motorcycle batteries, the heater fan motor
from a bus with a radio rheostat as controller, mounted on a $25 raleigh. It worked super for about a mile before busting into flames.

If you connect your two batteries in series and use a controller like a RioRand PWM DC Speed-controller you could get acceptable performance from a unite MOT-24350G

Very short run time with your batteries and low torque but it fits with what you want to do.

I was aware of the universal motors being, well, universal. The only reason I planned to use an inverter was that the motor runs on 120v, and the 2 batteries are 12v each. I have a spare inverter lying around, so it's the easiest way to step up the voltage for me. I could get a DC-DC converter, but aren't those just as inefficient?

Also, as shown in the wiring and speed controlling video you sent, it mentions the use of a switching speed controller. I was planning on using a smart dimmer, which also uses PWM and can be cheaper. Not sure if that will work as well as a proper speed controller though.
based on your power supply you will be running high amps and I don't know if the ratings are adequate on the smart dimmers.

The kid hasn't been been seen here for over 4 months now but I think he gave up on the whole idea of this, he really wanted to have a gasser but his state, (one of my former states) of New Hampshire is quite restrictive since they require license, registration, insurance, for gas bikes and the poor kid is not even old enough for a license yet...lol...And buying a commercially built E-bike is unaffordable for him right now.

As the title suggests, I've got some parts I think I could use. I've seen an older thread about using a vacuum motor, but it was just asking if it could be used.

What I have:
-A 1.2 amp 120v universal motor from a vacuum cleaner
-Two 7ah 12v batteries from a UPS
-A 12v to 120v inverter rated at 150 watts
-An old 24" bicycle sitting in my shed
-No regards for how it looks

I'm thinking I could maybe use a dimmer switch to adjust the speed of the bicycle, don't currently have one on hand.

I weigh 120 pounds, do you think the ~140 watt motor would be capable of maintaining at least 10 mph? How should I mount everything without welding, duct tape? zip ties? screwing into the frame?
I have a universal vacuum motor. I put it on a 36 volt battery and I can literally stop the shaft with my fingers, absolutely no torque. Before I realized how weak it is I was thinking about mounting it on my front wheel to help with top end speed but it would never work.

I have a universal vacuum motor. I put it on a 36 volt battery and I can literally stop the shaft with my fingers, absolutely no torque. Before I realized how weak it is I was thinking about mounting it on my front wheel to help with top end speed but it would never work.
The kid hasn't been been seen here for over 4 months now but I think he gave up on the whole idea of this, he really wanted to have a gasser but his state, (one of my former states) of New Hampshire is quite restrictive since they require license, registration, insurance, for gas bikes and the poor kid is not even old enough for a license yet...lol...And buying a commercially built E-bike is unaffordable for him right now.

Back