Identifying a bike

G

Not sure if this is the place for it, if not feel free to move this one....
I got a bike today, for a real good price- free.

It has a diamond frame configuration, lugged at the "joints", 26" wheels that are white (appears to be factory paint) that have skinny tires (not balloon).

The guy who gave it to me said he got it from an uncle of his who had it for years and he seems to think it's 50 years old.

Now having said all that, I will say I doubt the last part, simply because under the broom painted flat black paint I found some metalic blue paint and what was left of a nameplate that I could only make out the words "New York".
601_bike_002_2.jpg

Is there any way to find out how old it is, or who made it.

I don't think my engine will work on my Wal-Mart "Next" Monterey cruiser, which is all aluminum.

Well, it was free....I have restored much uglier items.
Let me know if I can post any other photos that may help.

It strikes me as very 70's. It doesn't look to have a 1" pitch chain or rear wheel adjusters and the one piece crank and chain wheel make me think American type, like sears, jc penney, ect. Everything looks pretty good and has a nice vintage looking rear rack. Throw on a leather saddle, some vintage bars, a nice coat of paint, an engine and you'll have yourself a classy motor bike. Any pictures of the dropout?

Sorry, what's a "drop out"?

The rack is home-made from aluminum and rivets.

Nt a skip tooth, regular sprocket/chain.

It's ridable, just not pretty.

Thanks guys.

Mrs. Joe says "it looks like the bike that the wicked witch of the west rode in "The Wizard of OZ"..... :LOL:

The dropout is the flat sheet of metal between the frame tubes and the rear wheel.

Thanks.

Can you tell I don't know much about the bike parts of "motored bikes"?

The drop out looks like the average bike, where the wheel slides forward and at an angle to be removed.

Update- After removing pounds of I found the remains of a decal on the side that says "Ross EUROPIA".

Back