Idiots Have Serious Motored Bike Crash in Australia

Well how do you know they didnt maintain their bikes or wore safety gear? Everyone thinks that they are better than the people that crashed, until they crash as well. People make mistakes, even if they have safety measures. End result... nothing changes. People continue to spoil it for others.

The fact the reason why this is a big deal is because they were (presumably) riding at high speed, resulting in a spectacular outcome. If they were riding slower we wouldnt have this on the news. Bicycles are not designed for continuous 50+k operation, thats a fact. IMHO, anything past 35k on a bicycle is approaching scary territory unless i know the road surface well. Riding at 40k on a familiar cycleway, it stings my arms when they impact on flies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well how do you know they didnt maintain their bikes? Everyone thinks that they are better than the people that crashed, until they crash as well. People make mistakes, even if they take care of their bikes. End result... nothing changes. People continue to spoil it for others.

The fact the reason why this is a big deal is because they were (presumably) riding at high speed, resulting in a spectacular outcome. If they were riding slower we wouldnt have this on the news. Bicycles are not designed for continuous 50+k operation, thats a fact. IMHO, anything past 35k on a bicycle is approaching scary territory unless i know the road surface well.

i wasn't saying i don't make mistakes but the road i ride i ride ten times a week to and from work and they may very well have maintained their bikes, the guy in port colborne was doing about 15 km/h when he hit the train tracks and dumped it one of my co workers was a witness and first on the scene, if i don't know the road i take it easy i do not just go gung ho and hope for the best that'd be kinda silly and irresponsible cars are what scare me i'm not scared of a little speed it's a little nervy sometimes but not too scary i understand the bikes are not made for the speed that's why i inspect it regularly to make sure things are good

I wasnt criticising you specifically, sorry if it seemed that way.

All im saying is that; while members here may be more mechanically knowledgeable about the engines, the "I want high speed" attitude of some members is still there.

yeah but man it's so much fun i try to be as safe as possible and think of everything

This type of case/law change is why I went electric to a legal 200W.
The guys at my work are saying I should take out insurance,
due to the "if you hit someone..." scenario.

Anyone had experience in getting insured on the MB/EMB or plain bicycle?
What would it cost per year ?

I'm going to ring my insurer to find out.
post details later.

Fore-warned is four-armed.

Anyone had experience in getting insured on the MB/EMB or plain bicycle?
What would it cost per year ?

I have insurance on my Whizzer, which is a whole different creature than an electric motoredbike. However, having said that, my insurance is $75 (US) per year, and I didn't opt for the most basic policy. It's a fairly comprehensive policy.

I rang my insurer, www.nrma.com.au
and as I have a Household insurance policy, that polilcy covers me riding an electric bicycle. So there you go I'm already covered.

How about the rest of you, ever considered where you stand legally
and insurance wise if you cause an accident on your MB ?

Fore-warned is four-armed.

I rang my insurer, www.nrma.com.au
and as I have a Household insurance policy, that polilcy covers me riding an electric bicycle. So there you go I'm already covered.
Usually it's not a good idea to count on household insurance, because... (A) you'd have to pay a pretty hefty deductible & (B) your premiums would no doubt go up as well. Not a very good financial choice, I would think.

Also, are you sure the electric bicycle will be covered for an accident not even close to your property??

I'm considering at least ambulance cover.
$650.00 minimum I think or therabouts to get a ride to hospital if not covered.

http://www.saambulance.com.au/publicweb/products-amb.html#rates
$650 isn't all that bad considering the shaft I got when I had appendicitis. They charged me MORE than $2,000 to take me from the largest hospital on the Coast here (because there was no surgeon on a Friday night) to the next closest hospital, maybe 5 to 10 miles away. Luckily, I had health insurance at the time.

Back