Idle adjustment screw broke HS142f

TurboJettaJMo

Local time
1:11 PM
So after loads of trouble with this carb i noticed while trying to get it started the screw was askew and went to adjust it only to find that the idle adjustment screw broke! How the little spring and minor adjustments i made were enough to break a metal screw are a mystery to me but now that it has broken the screw and i cant adjust it i am stuck.
Anyone know of any bug box stores that would carry any kits that might include this screw? Napa has a kit to rebuild honda g series carbs, but the kit costs more than a new carb would! Any specs or part numbers for this needle screw for idle adjustment would be appreciated.

Every HS 142f 49cc motor I've seen has a black plastic screw for the idle rpm adjustment. Are you sure it's metal?

That is not an idle adjustment screw, you are talking about the throttle adjusting screw.
Idle adjustment screw is metal on every carburetor that’s ever been built. Is typically a screw with a jet needle on the end of it and a spring encasing it that screws into the carburetor near where it mates to the intake manifold/engine. The needle tip of the screw is what prevents or allows gas to enter the bowl of the carburetor- using plastics here would guarantee a short life for the part as you have to screw it all the way in to begin adjusting idle.

This is what remains of the idle adjustment screw....if i cant find suitable replacement i am just going to score the top of it and jb weld a bent paperclip on for adjusting.

Part #10 down the page. Pricey but don't know anywhere else to buy except a honda dealer and it will cost more. The HS 142f is a clone of the GHX50cc. Carbs are different in a few design specs but those idle adjustment screws are the same. I'd buy a new carb if it were me to have extra set of parts for future use.
Is the needle screw the same on every model gxh50 carb? I was on my local small engine suppliers parts catalog and found multiple different carbs and wasn’t sure if they all had same needle screw or no as some offered different part numbers and 8-15 dollars for a single screw when a new carb is only 20 seems ludicrous.

I call that the air mixture screw, oh well. Good luck finding your part. I have an old spare HS carb but I think I'll hold on to it. Was going to offer it to you for free but I changed my mind.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I ordered that carb and the one i received was quite different so much different that the throttle cable has to be pulled from the right side of the bike instead of from the rear (as if either orientation makes any sense). I cannot get it to stay running for more than a few seconds now and my main suspect is the gaskets as they don’t appear to match the carb in shape form or function and there were no diagrams included. Emailed seller for assistance and their response was tonseek professional installation- i AM certified and none of the small engine shops in town will touch bikes for liability reasons. They would only state that the gaskets match (without telling how they know or even seeing them). Two months in and the motor has ten miles on it. Ten. Fires right up and then whoosh, nothing. My hand is blistered from the pull start and i cant get the bike to run or idle for more than a few seconds. Checked the carb angle, float operation, fuel air mix, petcock, gas cap, spark plug.....i am running out of ideas.

Back