Engine Trouble Idle Help Wanted

openscreen

Local time
4:14 PM
Thanks to this forum's members for helping me get my bike running. Much appreciated. The engine moves the bike along at a great clip, the only problem being that it will not idle. I checked a ton of threads related to idling and none of the proposed solutions worked. The things I tried so far are: installed a new spark plug with the proper gap, made sure the carb slide was installed properly, made sure the C washer was on top of the needle C clip and tightened carb and exhaust connections to eliminate air leakage. The only modification I made when putting the bike together was to install an extra heavy slide spring. Because of resistance caused by the way my throttle cable was routed, the stock spring was not strong enough to sap back the throttle. When i first ran the engine the idle was fine. Then the bike went into storage for a while. And now I can't get it to idle. Any help you can offer would be great.

have you tried turning in the idle adjustment screw?
did you remove the idle screw to make sure that it has a tapered and on it like it's supposed to?
is the idle screw even there? (sometimes they can vibrate loose and fall out).

hey,motorpsycho, thanks for the reply. It has an extreemly small taper starting about 1mm from the end and at about 45 degrees.

another thing to check is the main jet. they have been known to back out and fall into the float bowl on some carbs.

Thanks again, motorpsycho. The main jet seems to be fine, definetly not sitting on the bottom of the bowl. I know very little about engines so this has really got me stumped. You have any other ideas?

lower needle by a notch or two(raise c-clip). lean it out a bit at idle.

take the spring off the idle screw and screw it in further...

Thanks to this forum's members for helping me get my bike running. Much appreciated. The engine moves the bike along at a great clip, the only problem being that it will not idle. I checked a ton of threads related to idling and none of the proposed solutions worked. The things I tried so far are: installed a new spark plug with the proper gap, made sure the carb slide was installed properly, made sure the C washer was on top of the needle C clip and tightened carb and exhaust connections to eliminate air leakage. The only modification I made when putting the bike together was to install an extra heavy slide spring. Because of resistance caused by the way my throttle cable was routed, the stock spring was not strong enough to sap back the throttle. When i first ran the engine the idle was fine. Then the bike went into storage for a while. And now I can't get it to idle. Any help you can offer would be great.

These lil engines don't idle well you can get em to by change'n the carb,or you might try opening up the pipe,and putting a bigger end on it(stinger)These lil china girls run rich for the most part,they are also detuned from the factory,take the carb off and look at the gaskett its reduced on most of em.
The end of the pipe should be just under 5/8 dia O.D.But for stock motors 1/2 copper is fine,you will notice a good change just by doin that,egor has a slide modifacation that I've done successfuly.
The simplest way for you increase the Idol would be with the adjustment that is on top of the carb where the cable comes in.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of P3250372.JPG
    Copy of Copy of P3250372.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 169
  • PA020464.JPG
    PA020464.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 159
Back