idle screw question

dotcom

Local time
8:22 AM
I have an RT carb on my bike which has been great on my previous build but with this new build my idle screw is screwed all the way in and im still at a too low idle when stopped or when I pull the clutch in. I feel that If I could screw that idle screw in more, I feel could prevent this. Otherwise the bike is running fairly smooth. So what is the cure?

oil? its a brand new bottom end, hardly even broken in yet with just 5-6 total rides so far and im only on the second tank. Are you saying there is too much oil because the idle screw is screwed all the way in and im still at a too low idle when stopped with no room on the screw the increase the low idle. Something cannot be right. not sure though.

Last edited:
on my last journey of diagnosing a problem with the bike, I took apart this RT carb and first thought the needle should be moving up and down like a stock chineese carb and then finally someone that knew the RT carb said the needle doesn't move up and down like a stock chineese carb so I was trying to force mine out before i found this out and thats probably what is happening. I didn't force it out but might have just alittle

I see that the RT comes with an assortment of jet sizes - that might be the only way to adjust richness of mixture - somewhat like the CNS carbs that are a PIA to tune, I'd dump an RT for an easy to work with NT.

I tried moving the needle again but it just does not seem to budge and no matter what I tried I am still having the same problem. I can't seem to move the needle no matter what I do. I tried with force to move it up or down. The only thing that did increase the idle was to unscrew the clutch cable a couple turns near the carb but that tightened the pedalling from being as freely as before. Now I wonder what will happen if I loosen the flower nut so it pedals more freely but I though it will pnly undo what I just did. After all though, I think the needle still needs to be forced one way or the other to get it right because the idle screw should be able to not have to be tightened all the way and still have a low idle.

Back