Chain Tensioner Idler Issues with Grubbee 48cc

gearhead222

Local time
10:08 PM
Dear Fellow Members-Definitely a Newbie here but mechanically inclined. I just fitted (whew!) and installed a 48cc Grubbee 2 stroke to Wally Worlds best Huffy, the Cranebrook:whistle: Bikes name is Pepe after the conversion.
The engine and rear sprocket are well within the 1/2 cm range of sideplay, but the chain is slightly digging into the plastic outer pulley wheel lip unless I angle the idler bracket out at its top. This is causing undue side tension on the lower part of the chain compared to the upper part of the chain. The chain is still riding very close to the outer lip of the idler pulley wheel-I cannot center the chain due to the design of the bracket-bending won't help either:( A more senior member recommended leaving the idler assembly off on beach cruisers.I am worried not only about premature idler pully wear but moreso about engine drive sprocket wear. I am ensuring that the chain tension is about 1/2" deflection also. Chain is very noisy with the idler assembly. If the front and rear sprockets are very close in alignment, should I remove the idler pulley assembly and shorten the chain? If this is worth trying, should the chain deflection still be 1/2" without the idler pulley assembly? FWIW, I checked the frame where the rear wheel axle bolts onto and the two rear frame brackets are angled up roughly at 30 degrees giving me about 1/2" of chain adjustment play. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanx!-Gearhead222:D

Last edited:
I have a 15 year old Huffy Santa Fe and all i did was to raise the engine up on the center frame with some spacers on the front mount and that made the chain ride high enough to clear the frame in the back. Be sure you have the front and rear sprockets aligned and use a BMX style tensioner in the back to help keep everything that way. Good Luck!

Thanx for the input WBA! What's a BMX style tensioner? Having good luck with thhe stock tensioner, but bought a spring loaded tensioner from livefastmotors. Just bought another spring for it today, along with the spring retainer for the stationary end of the spring:)-Gearhead222

Its the chain tensioner that keeps the chain tight on BMX bikes when they do all those crazy tricks. Its like a bolt with an eye in one end that goes over your rear axle and can keep the chain tight. Local bike shops have them reasonably cheap if you want to try one. I dont have any pics so cant help with a visual but im sure in Googgle theres something in images under bmx chain tensioner that will illustrate what I am saying. Good Luck!

Back