Chain Tensioner idler wheel

B

Bertsimon

Anyone know of anything to replace this. Is there anything at a hardware store I could buy to make one.Mine broke dont really want to wait a 2 weeks to get one. Thanks

Sure..

Get a Roller blade wheel with Abec bearings and and some flat washers and make a new Idler wheel. You will need to cut a small grove in the wheel for the chain to ride in. I use a drill press and make a lathe out of it and a chisel to make the groove. Enjoy the ride..

I know that I saw a picture of that done on here. I now cant find it. Anybody else see that picture of the roller blade wheel?

yes...but....

If you look at that pic. That idler wheel is on the power side of the chain. Not good. You can put a wheel on the power side to take up chain lash when slowing. But..It should be spring loaded. To put a wheel with no give on the power side is not the best. Enjoy the ride..

Well I made a atempt at the roller blade wheel. I made the groove which is good. I put it on the bike but when you tighten it. The wheel wont spin so the chain just drags across it. How do I secure it so that the wheel will spin with the chain? Dac you made it sound so easy just get a couple of washers yeah then what? I put the bolt through the wheel with a couple of small washers on both sides. What am i doing wrong here?

hey Bert, I haven't tried this mod yet, but you may be tightening the nut and bolt too much. What you need is a locknut so the skate wheel can still turn,
Dr. J. said:
79_Bicycle_Motor_Photos_001_2.jpg

79_Bicycle_Motor_Photos_002_1.jpg

Here Ya Go!

Dr. J.

Well that looks like what i did except I put it were the old pulley was I dont want it on top . I am looking to put it were the old one was. That bolt looks no different than the one i was using expect for that one is longer. I didnt have that many washers either. It has to be tight otherwise it just falls down and the chain gets loose which defeats the whole purpose of it.

So, you're still using the old idler bracket?... toss that thing away, nothing but trouble.

Back