If I buy a pre-built motorized bicycle, how can I adapt it make it legal for UK/Ireland?

S'up?

Local time
8:51 PM
I live out in the countryside and there's a lovely cycle path nearby that leads into town, but due to health reasons I'm finding my body just isn't keeping up with the cycling needed to get in and out. Unfortunately I'm on too low an income to afford a moped or car, plus the tax and insurance, or even just an ebike. So that's why I'm thinking of getting a motorized bike.

I've seen some for sale nearby for under £200, but Ive been trying to figure out the legalities for driving one in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (since i live near the border). It seems to be all based on whether the engine requires pedalling to be able to start or if it can start without pedalling. Unfortunately all the affordable bikes I see for sale, don't comply with that.

Is there anyway I can buy one of these and easily modify it so that it doesn't start unless I pedal?

Thanks so much for reading

First we need to know if you're asking about an electric motor or a combustion engine? Before getting anything I suggest asking your local Department of Motor Vehicles.

There's 2 strokes whose gear ratio won't all them to be self propelled; you must pedal to get them moving.

You could also use a small 25cc 4 stroke which would add assist.

Currently we don't have many riders in the UK on the forum. That's why I suggested asking your local DMV about what's legal on a motorized bicycle.

I live out in the countryside and there's a lovely cycle path nearby that leads into town, but due to health reasons I'm finding my body just isn't keeping up with the cycling needed to get in and out. Unfortunately I'm on too low an income to afford a moped or car, plus the tax and insurance, or even just an ebike. So that's why I'm thinking of getting a motorized bike.

I've seen some for sale nearby for under £200, but Ive been trying to figure out the legalities for driving one in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (since i live near the border). It seems to be all based on whether the engine requires pedalling to be able to start or if it can start without pedalling. Unfortunately all the affordable bikes I see for sale, don't comply with that.

Is there anyway I can buy one of these and easily modify it so that it doesn't start unless I pedal?

Thanks so much for reading
Cead Mile Failte,

You probably already know that in the small villages and if your an older guy, the Garda won't have too much to say about the "delicate legalities" involved...lol.

The hitch in all this is cross border between Ulster and the Republic of Ireland.

Also where does the EU come into play with motorised vehicle laws with bicycles with a motor strapped to them, and are those EU laws also applied by the Garda between Ulster and the Republic of Ireland as well since Brexit made things just that much "murkier" than they were previously as regards to the border is concerned, considering that this was the most significant change regarding Ulster and the Republic of Ireland since The Good Friday Accords in 1998.

I have a couple of links listed below for you to click on and perhaps a few gems and pearls will jump out at ya...lol...Ta...DAMIEN

Also a phone number and email for Alan in "Eire" i believe, may be of help as well. (I believe it's a Vodaphone mobile number).

Contact Alan on: 087 240 9313

Email: sales@motorizedbikes.ie

There's 2 strokes whose gear ratio won't all them to be self propelled; you must pedal to get them moving.

You could also use a small 25cc 4 stroke which would add assist.

Currently we don't have many riders in the UK on the forum. That's why I suggested asking your local DMV about what's legal on a motorized bicycle.
This is the one I'm looking at right now. The guy says it's two stroke but that it starts without pedalling. If I buy it, how do I modify it so that it requires pedalling to start?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-175404.png
    Screenshot_20211112-175404.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
Cead Mile Failte,

You probably already know that in the small villages and if your an older guy, the Guarda won't have too much to say about the "delicate legalities" involved...lol.

The hitch in all this is cross border between Ulster and the Republic of Ireland.

Also where does the EU come into play with motorised vehicle laws with bicycles with a motor strapped to them, and are those EU laws also applied by the Guarda between Ulster and the Republic of Ireland as well since Brexit made things just that much "murkier" than they were previously as regards to the border is concerned, considering that this was the most significant change regarding Ulster and the Republic of Ireland since The Good Friday Accords in 1998.

I have a couple of links listed below for you to click on and perhaps a few gems and pearls will jump out at ya...lol...Ta...DAMIEN

Also a phone number and email for Alan in "Eire" i believe, may be of help as well. (I believe it's a Vodaphone mobile number).

Contact Alan on: 087 240 9313

Email: sales@motorizedbikes.ie

I was emailing Alan earlier today. He said doesn't know about the laws up north. The bikes he sells are all set up to require pedalling to start. Unfortunately they're out of my price range. He does have self-build kits for sale, which I'm considering if I can't modify a cheaper pre-build for pedal start, but that would definitely be more of a backup option because I don't have much confidence or any experience with building the engine myself.

As for the local cops, I don't want to take any chances. I've seen stories online about people in England getting their bikes confiscated. £200 for a bike is already going to be a big expense for my budget, so the risk of having it confiscated and getting slapped with a £1000 fine is too much for me to take a chance with.

This is the one I'm looking at right now. The guy says it's two stroke but that it starts without pedalling. If I buy it, how do I modify it so that it requires pedalling to start?
That is the standard 2 stroke chinadoll build, it has to be pedaled to get it started.

That one isn't any good anyway, the fuel filter is on upside down.

That is the standard 2 stroke chinadoll build, it has to be pedaled to get it started.

That one isn't any good anyway, the fuel filter is on upside down.
What effect will the fuel filter being upside down have on the bike? Is there an easy way to fix it?

Edit: Also, the guy selling it says it starts without pedalling. IF that turns out to be true IS there a way to modify it so that it starts only by pedalling?

Just reinstall the fuel filter so it isnt upside down...lol.

The bike your looking at should start by pedaling while releasing the clutch lever, thats what a pedal start bike is...pedal and just let out the clutch at around 7 miles per hour and it starts...DAMIEN

How did he say he starts it without pedaling?...Did he show you how he starts it?

Back