If you could create your own bicycle laws ...

Reserved (discuss to add or remove)
Recommend Acceptable Fines (which encourage adherance and fund bicycle lane growth)
-----Prefer a National Federal Law (or standard throughout all 50 states)-----
If driving a bicycle upon public roadways or upon designated bicycle lanes:
1) If riding from dusk to dawn or during periods of less than 70 lux (use a light meter, or a cheap light sensor designed to trip at 70 lux): a front headlight must be a white light visible from 500ft, a red taillight or red reflector must be visible from a vehicle 200ft, turn-lights must be visible from 200ft. Fine of not more than $200.
2) Helmet regardless of age. If motorized, a motorcycle helmet is required. Fine of not more than $200.
3) Registration required ($15 per year or $500 lifetime - benefits, identify stolen bicycles - supports a national database - helps you recover your bicycle if stolen, support addition of bicycle lanes, see census). Fine of not more than $500.
4) Bicycle Endorsement ID (or License) required (cut down on illegal immigrants riding these). A Bicycle Endorsement ID ($10 per 4 years) is obtainable EVEN IF your "driver's license" has been revoked (provides info for laws concerning bicyles, supports bicycle lanes). Fine of not more than $500.
5) If motorized you are self limited to 25MPH (with enforcement providing a 5MPH grace), unless you have D.O.T. approved tires, and proof of insurance coverage (homeowners is acceptable, depending upon carrier - this is a safety thing). Fine of not more than $500.
6) No limit to the size or type of your engine, but it must be have workable peddles and if pulled over you must be able to show you can peddle it 500 feet under your own power or provide proof of handicap. Fine of not more than $500.
7) A stopping distance of 62 feet (same distance as a car on dry roads) when traveling at the lesser of 25MPH or maximum speed of the bicycle. Fine of not more than $100.
8) Total fines shall not exceed $1,000 and shall go to establish and improve bicycle lanes.

Last edited:
Bicycle Lanes from Registration, & Fines

I think this is a noble effort. It improves a drivers awareness of cyclists, and helps separate us from ordinary traffic. If your bicycle is stolen, police have an easier time finding it when it is tagged. For the cost of registering a bicycle, and a bicycle endorsement ID (if no ability to obtain a license) you contribute to the establishment of bike lanes added onto roadways for your area. If I had to pay a fine, I would be happy to see it going towards improving roadways for cyclists.

Check out the census information for your area. Remove those 18 & younger, those 65 & older (even though some may still ride a bike, especially the younger ones for first time jobs, saving for a car and college), and estimate that 5% of the remaining populace would choose to ride and register a bicycle for use on the public roadways.

In the small city of Huntsville, AL that would be 3.085% of the population or 5,186 people generating $77,803 per year for bicycle lanes or 15-1/2 miles per year ($5k per mile), to 1-1/2 miles per year ($50k per mile) from bicycle registration alone. I would rather see bicycle lanes added during construction or during road renovations (as this decreases the costs, and adds more miles worth of bicycle lanes).

It would be neat if this became a popular mode of transport because then it would bring in $1.6M if everyone in this city within the bracket of 18 to 65 had one bicycle registered. That's 320 miles (@$5k/mile) to 32 miles (@$50k/mile) per year of bicycle lanes for this city alone.

Using the same basis for the state (assuming the age bracket and only 5% of that population registering a bicycle) that's 9,561 miles to 956 miles of bicycle lanes per year in the state. If these were added along interstates, or scenic routes then think of the tourist attraction boom and health benefits provided to residents. Other good areas to add these lanes would be at intersections and along major roadways.

Though I could be all wrong?

Last edited:
No laws

BSA
Hear, hear!!

I'd like all states to define a motorized bicycle as exactly what they are. Only regulation I'd like to see across the board is for a headlight. As usual, states can pick and choose whether they'd like to leave the option of helmets to the rider or require all riders to use helmets.

Regardless of whether a state chooses to enforce a helmet law or not... states should define a motorized bicycle. I am afraid to wear a helmet here, because nobody else wears one. I feel if I'm going 25mph with a bright red helmet on... cops will ask me for license, registration, insurance, etc. I'd definitely wear my helmet if I knew what I was doing was "legal".

My own MB laws -- would be pretty simple

must be 16 to ride on streets
no drivers license required if 2-hp or under
over 2-hp M-2 motor driven cycle drivers license required
bicycle helmet
top speed 30 mph

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

1) FELONY for stealing your ride
2) It's a bicycle with helper engine follow all BICYCLE rules speeds 20 max.on the bike paths(would be realistically easier to pass thru legislation ... you can still go 30 if there's no one around everybody speeds so roll the dice cause you can get ticketed) 30 would fall into Moped laws. These are not mopeds.
3) Drivers license taken away for hitting a bicycle (MB's fall in here. look at #2)
4) Heavy fine for crossing a red light on a bicycle.
5) Ride right pass left
6) All commercial buildings/stores/place of employment MUST HAVE a Bicycle rack. This should be part of building codes.
7) Streets must accommodate bike lanes. Streets need a minimum width that must accommodate bike lanes.
8) Cars need to park off the street. This would greatly reduce door accidents. Implement parking lots in surrounding neighborhoods give tax breaks or something when you extend your driveway. Less grass on the lawn because you replaced it with concrete/black top so you can have your car parked on your property would mean less watering means more rain runoff means more water in the reservoir.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) FELONY for stealing your ride
I *really* like this idea!!

6) All commercial buildings/stores/place of employment MUST HAVE a Bicycle rack. This should be part of building codes.
7) Streets must accommodate bike lanes. Streets need a minimum width that must accommodate bike lanes.
Too much trouble, but nice in theory. It'd be great if we could rebuild this country from scratch... but we can't. Iran is the country to build from scratch. Have you guys seen some of the stuff they've been building in just a few years??

8) Cars need to park off the street. This would greatly reduce door accidents. Implement parking lots in surrounding neighborhoods give tax breaks or something when you extend your driveway. Less grass on the lawn because you replaced it with concrete/black top so you can have your car parked on your property would mean less watering means more rain runoff means more water in the reservoir.
Ya darn Commie!! I like how the chlorophyll in my weeds convert CO2 to Oxygen at a rapid pace! And blacktop absorbs heat, so it'll just make Greenland melt faster. Sheesh!!

Back