If you had $300 and a mountain bike...

xlastshotx

Local time
3:39 AM
If you had $300 and a new hard tail mountain bike, you lived in a moderately hilly area. and were planning to use the bike very often. which engine would you get?

Depends.

If you're in a dry area, then the friction kit is probably fine.

If you get rain routinely, a belt or chain drive.

Do you want something you have to spen a lot of time tinkering with, or something more reliable? If you don't mind spending a lot of time with a wrench, a happy time kit should be ok.

Personally, I'd wait until I saved up more $, & get a staton chain drive kit.

id get a 47cc from minipocketrockets for 99bucks and a friction kit.

Thats a pretty good price... How is the reliability of those engines? are there mounting kits available or would I have to fabricate one?

Depends.

If you're in a dry area, then the friction kit is probably fine.

If you get rain routinely, a belt or chain drive.

Do you want something you have to spen a lot of time tinkering with, or something more reliable? If you don't mind spending a lot of time with a wrench, a happy time kit should be ok.

Personally, I'd wait until I saved up more $, & get a staton chain drive kit.

It rarely rains here... maybe 3 times a year rite now (southern californias in a drought)

I do like/don't mind tinkering, I road dirtbikes and atvs for 7 years and street bikes for 3, so I have always had to tinker and rebuild things.

How much are the Staton chain drive kits?

I think that I would save just a little more - a little over four hundred - and buy yet another Robin Subaru 35cc friction drive. This little engine has been running so strong - 700 miles I think - no speedo.. Only problem that I had - was when I mistaked gas cans and poured in 2-cycle gas - ran a little slugglish - my fault !! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I agree with the above. $300 kits and reliability rarely if ever enter the same sentence around here. Get a staton for best reliability.

HI

70 CC HT Plus a sprocket to suit you needs....Will still have $$ left over....

Andrew

HI

70 CC HT Plus a sprocket to suit you needs....Will still have $$ left over....

Andrew

QFT
my 70cc HT motor is running just fine, after I did some tinkering with it and improved some stuff. All the info I used was right here and it gives me no problems now and you can't beat it for the price, especially if you like to tinker with small motors.

Hmm..

Well I do enjoy tinkering with motors big or small... I general enjoy tinkering with anything though :p

What if I got a 70cc kit (or similar), and a shifter kit to go with it? That way I would have the toque in the lower gears to get me up just about anything, but still being able to go fast on the straightaways when need be.

Who all sells the shifters kits? Does anyone else make/sell them other than SickBikeParts.com?

Also what does HT and CIF mean? (lol I am so new at this)

Last edited:
Back