ignition mods

blue 48

Local time
8:49 AM
hi me again, what kind of ignition upgrades/mods are around for these engines now days? both of mine are good no probs at all, but i often wonder if anyones messed with these setups at all with improved results cheers
mike:D

JNMotors sells a true 2 stroke CDI with ignition retard at high rpm's that reduces vibration, increases power, and reduces possibility of seizing. The CDI that comes with these motors is made for 4 strokes and does not retard the ignition timing at rpm's above 3000.

thanks jaguar i want one its awsome im thinking about the tach and temp guage too. those centrifugal clutches look gooooood

DoubleTrouble if you can elaberate on how an ignition is going to create any better spark on a plug thats designed to run at specified level I'd be vary greatful.
I could see if there was a closed chamber head, modified camshaft and along with the modified intake and exhaust how the timming whould come in to play.
I really dont think he went that far.

Last edited:
Replacing the standard CDI/ignition-coil combo with a true 2 stroke CDI and ignition coil will increase the spark power (voltage and current) as well as have a timing curve that is needed by two strokes. This is true regardless of spark plug used. Plugs are designed for a specific heat level, not for specific spark power.

Personally I cant agree with that. Expecially the part were your talking about spark power. When you have sputtering in the engine a hotter plug is a simple solution.
2 Stroke are designed with stock egnition specifically for the motor.
The only time theres a timming curve is when the camshaft is modified.
You can show me anywhere in the definition were power is described on spark plug. Prove it. Dont just say it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug

I know what your talking about is the autolight guy flexing his little muscle.

If your going to give a mod you need to get it running first.

Here's a mod for ya drill another hole in the head and create a dual exhaust. Then you can run dual carbs.

Last edited:
Power in the electrical sense is voltage multiplied by current. I have measured the current the Jaguar CDI puts out and its about 50% more. Voltage is determined by the spark plug gap. (from Spark gap in Wikipedia: " When the voltage difference between the conductors exceeds the gap's breakdown voltage, a spark forms") But with this CDI the gap can be very large which shows the maximum potential voltage is much higher. Maybe I should make a video showing this.
You said "2 Stroke are designed with stock egnition specifically for the motor." Not so in this case. These cheap ******* chinese put a 4 stroke CDI with the Grubee engine just because it was cheap and because not having an ignition retard at higher rpm's will reduce power and rpms which is what they wanted so it could pass all regulations in all countries.
There is no camshaft in these Grubee 2 stroke engines. Please don't open your mouth if you don't know anything about 2 stroke engines. Read and learn first.

Replacing the standard CDI/ignition-coil combo with a true 2 stroke CDI and ignition coil will increase the spark power (voltage and current) as well as have a timing curve that is needed by two strokes. This is true regardless of spark plug used. Plugs are designed for a specific heat level, not for specific spark power.

The way I see it , any way to improve the efficiency of these crappy little happy time motors is a bonus in performance. Imagine using an old wet cracked carbon spark plug wire vs a new copper core wire. Any difference? especially at higher rpms. Same with a new wire, good spark plug and an ignition that puts out more voltage at higher current. Each will have the motor gain a bit of power with a more complete combustion. So the motor will have higher rpm's , more horsepower ,better acceleration, and better fuel economy.
I am using an e3 spark plug and upgraded copper wire and boot. I also remade the connections from the coil to the cdi with good solid booted connections.I also use semi synthetic oil mixed 40-1. On a 60 pound bike with me at 185 pounds ,I have maxed out at 36 mph while regularly getting above 30. That is without a new cdi.
I don't know if it might help ,but I suspect that it would. Just like porting , polishing and an expansion exhaust. Its little things than add together for a better bike.

Back