Ill admit I was warned...

GW's Motorized

Local time
11:24 PM
Just to start off with, fenders look sick, but they come at a price.

I love the look of fenders on a bike, and I would love to keep them, but I should have taken the 5 or 10 minutes to reinforce mine.

My bike is an older Huffy Newport. It's an amazing frame, and it has fenders.

I was headed down the road going 35 when with zero warning my bike started skidding almost like socks on tile. It went for almost an entire block. My rear fenders had busted off its mount and bound up the rear wheel and went under it. Now my rear wheel is screwed and the almost brand new tire.

These are the pictures
20230424_155447.jpg

20230424_155451.jpg

20230424_161959.jpg

This is what it did to my fender
20230424_162003.jpg

"But it's a dry heat", bull cookies, buffalo chips, and meadow muffins, tell that to my sun scorched hide totally sunburned in 10 minutes of exposure.
See, here is a thing this Arizona born baby knows. "Dry" heat is a thing. It's just not how people think it is.

129 degrees is the hottest ambient temp I have ever experienced, with only around 5% humidity. Yes, it was stupid hot. Hot is hot, dry or wet.

127 degrees is the hottest heat index I have ever experienced (and I worked outside in it). We are talking about 100 degree air temp with 70 to 80% humidity.

Trust me. I will take the 129 degree actual heat over the 127 degree heat index, and for one reason only. 129 degree "dry" heat means your sweat evaporates. A lack of humidity in the air means that shade provides an actual measurable decrease in that areas temperature. Go hide in the shade in that heat index I describe and you are still miserable and soaking wet, just without a sunburn.

So, yes, Dry "heat" is actually a thing, but only because humidity sucks.

I don't trust any bike fenders without reinforcement.
I gave up on fenders when I skidded to a stop between a city bus and semi truck while going around 35 mph. My rear fender didn't have room to go under my rear wheel, I had a Huffy Nel Lusso. The main issue with this frame is it cracking where the seat stay is welded to the rear rack. My issue was the rear fender breaking off the mounts then getting rolled into a burrito between the rack and tire, causing me to grind my tire flat. and getting about a half inch deep flat spot ground into my rim. I was skidding for over 100 feet looking left and right at semi truck/bus tires, wondering if I was gonna go under. Never again.

I always wear a helmet when riding. I took my mini bike camping a few weeks ago and forgot my helmet, so I limited riding to sub 15mph only for testing my on the fly fixes.
Damn, I woulda figured out a pine wood/pinecone/shirt redneck helmet to go at least 20 mph xD

Nope, I don't mess around when it comes to injuries more than scrapes and bruises. Getting hurt just sets me back. I can't afford to miss even 1 day of school since I'm taking college level math classes.
I've only rode motorized bikes 5 times in the last 3 years. I think I can ride without constant pain finally. Left elbow still doesn't work like it used to.
Highsides suck.

Back