illegal to ride motorized bicycles in what states?

I live in Texas and our local sherriff says its ok, just dont travel on roads that the speed limit exceds 35mph, you can cross them but not travel down them.and the bike can't be over 50cc.
Guess it all depends on the officer that see's you riding !!!!!!
The Law in the book is so vauge and open to interpation...
I think I have the only M/B in town.
If more people get them the cops will ban them, Like they did the pocket bikes!!
so growth in the sport would be a death sentance for it.

We Want To Be Able to RIDE THAT THING

I live in Texas
The Law in the book is so vauge and open to interpation...
I think I have the only M/B in town.
If more people get them the cops will ban them, Like they did the pocket bikes!!
so growth in the sport would be a death sentance for it.

maybe not -- the death sentence
a lot may depend on how the new one's ride their MBs

in our little country town here
I have noticed two MB riders who I don't know
I am amazed -- these two guys
blow RIGHT THROUGH STOP SIGNS
man - that wisses me off
yes - one's such as this can blow it for the rest

sure makes it hard when we want to be able to

RIDE THAT THING

In Michigan, by my interpretation, if its not a motorcycle its a moped, and if it can possibly go more than 30mph its a motorcycle. Also if its got more than 2.0hp or 50cc or has a manual gearshift, its a motorcycle. I'm no expert, but we all Could Possibly do 30mph or more if we tried right? Maybe with enough teeth on your back sprocket you might get through the legal hoops. I cant imagine that they'd hook our bikes up to a dyno, but it seems that motored bikes are technically illegal in michigan. My HappyTime 80 breaks at least rules 1 and 2. (soon to be breaking rule 3 too)

Michigan law defines a moped as a two or three-wheel vehicle which meets all of the following limitations:

1. Top speed is no more than 30 mph on level surface
2. Engine size is 50 cc or less
3. No manual gearshift
4. 2.0 or less rear brake horsepower (measure of horsepower at the rear wheel)

Vehicles meeting this definition are classified as a moped and are registered with a 3-year moped decal for $15. Vehicles exceeding any of the characteristics listed above are classified as motorcycles.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-48268-179815--F,00.html

NYS DMV (Albany) said it's illegal to put a motor on a ten speed. When I asked for citation of the law and where I could read it??? I was told it's not actually a law it's just illegal to ride it on the street.

I get dirty looks from the cops all the time... I just keep riddin...I mean peddddditilli'n that thing!!!

Actually thats not a fair statement, A few thought it was pretty cool!

NYS DMV (Albany) said it's illegal to put a motor on a ten speed. When I asked for citation of the law and where I could read it??? I was told it's not actually a law it's just illegal to ride it on the street.

I get dirty looks from the cops all the time... I just keep riddin...I mean peddddditilli'n that thing!!!

Actually thats not a fair statement, A few thought it was pretty cool!

This is the kind of thinking by bureaucrats that makes me angry. If there ISN'T a law about it the things illegal to ride on the street? That makes no sense at all unless they do have a law that clearly defines only the vehicles and devices that may be operated on the street.
I'm with you, if I got that answer I'd continue riding. That means they have no law to hold against you and you'll easily win in court.

machiasmort... i'm not positive, but i'm PRETTY sure that there really is a law on the matter. I remember reading some text that looked like a pretty legit law stating that bicycles with engines were not allowed.

Search the forums, use google, keep calling the DMV and asking for another opinion (supervisor?).

I think the person you talked to was just fed that line from somebody else who didn't know or care about your situation.

DMV can be -- very interesting

Search the forums, use google, keep calling the DMV and asking for another opinion (supervisor?).

keep calling the DMV
yes - well at least here in Calif - that can be pretty interesting

back a few months ago
I called our main state DMV office

I asked a sweet sounding lady a MB legal question
she answered my question - with just what I was hoping for
I was so very excited

the very next day
for some reason - I thought that I should call DMV again with same question
so I did and received the answer that I didn't want to hear

maybe I should have asked the DMV lady for her name
but - would that help out if in trouble ???

ride that MB thing

Precisely the problem MM, like in NY, they seem to just make up their own laws. They are the DMV and driving is a privledge.. I guess so is interpreting and making up the laws without due process!

Never mind you spent $100's and weeks in the garage... Wait till you get pulled over by a cop having a bad day, WHO DARE QUESTION THE MIGHTY OZ!!!

This attitude must change in this Country, discression is one thing and possibly getting charged due to bad hair day is another.

Getting a name won't help you unless you tape record the conversation!!! :) These poor State employee's answer so many questions they'll forget all about Mt.Man when the trafic Nazi calls to verify your story.

A tape recording might not even help.!.!.

Last edited:
Back