illegal to ride motorized bicycles in what states?

Ohio stinks

MOTORIZED BICYCLES
No person may operate a motorized bicycle (moped) on any public roadway
or private property used by the public unless the person:
• Is 14 years of age or older and has obtained an Ohio motorized bicycle
operator’s license.
• Holds a valid Ohio driver license or motorcycle license.
No person whose license is under suspension is eligible to apply for a
motorized bicycle operator license.
Definition of a Motorized Bicycle
Section 4511.01H of the Ohio Revised Code defines a motorized bicycle as
any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is
capable of being pedaled and is also equipped with a helper motor. The law
specifies that the helper must:
• Have a piston displacement of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.
• Produce no more than one-brake horsepower.
• Propel the vehicle to a maximum speed of no greater than 20 mph on a
level surface.
Any motor-driven or motor-assisted cycle which exceeds any of these
limitations is legally a motorcycle and is subject to all vehicle registrations and
operator licensing requirements that apply to full-sized motorcycles.
In addition to the requirements listed above, all motorized bicycles must be
approved by the director of the Ohio Department of Public Safety as meeting the

basic equipment standards (see “Equipment,” this chapter). A vehicle does not
become a motorized bicycle until the Department of Public Safety includes that
vehicle on its approved list. For a copy of the list of all makes and models
approved for sale in Ohio as a moped, write to: Legal Counsel, Ohio Department
of Public Safety, P.O. Box 182081, Columbus, Ohio 43218-2081.

I still ride mine! ! !

Last edited:
Thats a drag

1 hp and 20mph
50 cc (what the ****)
my 32cc is over a HORSE
So if they get you on radar going over 20 your busted.
Well all I can say on that one is .....

It's nice to have a actual written Law on m/b's
That clearley defines the requirements.

But that Law sucks !!!!

found loophole

I guess it turns out that if your bike was converted to a MB its legal because of a lack of VIN coding. A State trooper that lives up the street from me said that he and his supervisor went through the revised code and couldnt find anything to regulate a "converted" bike. So go me! ! ! 500 miles and running strong. I also reached a new top speed of 38.2MPH.

some new problems ???

A State trooper that lives up the street from me said that he and his supervisor went through the revised code and couldnt find anything to regulate a "converted" bike. So go me! ! ! 500 miles and running strong. I also reached a new top speed of 38.2MPH.

I would try to get a little note from the State Trooper so as to carry

just putting this thought out there
if you get clocked on radar doing 38.2 mph
may be the start of some new problems ???

have fun as you ride that MB thing

I only ride that fast on backroads, I make sure to do the speed limit when I am riding through town. I followed a cop all the way into town going 35 and he didnt bother to stop me. Im thinking as long as I follow the traffic laws I should be fine. Im sure if I start running stop signs, not properly yielding or not signalling a turn would be some attention getters.

Hey TATERSDAMAN,
You probably should persue getting a copy of that from the OHP officer if at all possible and carry it with you to avoid trouble from less informed officers. I do a fair amount of bowfishing and carry a laminated copy of a letter I got from a DNR officer. It has helped put an early end to a lot of problems with officers that really have no idea which end is up. If you do get one I would love a copy too. Have'nt had any problems yet, only because I keep 1 eye in the mirror at all times and just kill the motor when I see them coming behind me.

in the city it might be hard to ride. but you get used to it and its not that bad. i see punk running on thier pocket bikes and even grown ups on dirt bikes (sometimes). cops here are pretty nice guys all you have to do is be respectful and stay under limit while riding on.

nothings legal here in ny,but i am in upstate ny(redneck farm country) and i have a bike with engine,i may be the only one with a real engine kit(something besides a weedwacker or chainsaw engine).you can get dot aproved tires,buy motorcycle or moped ones and put on bike,they fit if you get the right size or just get the whole wheel.
does everyone know that you can take a moped frame with reg and put bicycle wheels,handlebars,seat,peddals,and your engine kit and it would be legal,because mopeds only need to be registered$50 no insurance or inspection.

one of the few -- not legal in NY ??

#1--nothings legal here in ny

#2--you can get dot aproved tires,buy motorcycle or moped ones and put on bike,they fit if you get the right size or just get the whole wheel.
does everyone know that

#3--you can take a moped frame with reg and put bicycle wheels,handlebars,seat,peddals,and your engine kit and it would be legal,because mopeds only need to be registered$50 no insurance or inspection.

regarding #1 above
that's sad -- maybe improvement in the future

#2 -- did we know that we could use dot motorcycle tires ?
no -- haven't heard that mentioned

#3 -- that's a fine point -- but -- wouldn't it be real heavy ?
would not truly feel like a bicycle

feel your pain in NY !!!!!!!!!!!

ride that MB thing

Back