Im 265 lb guy. What are my options for rear tire & inner tube performance? flats 101

dotcom

Local time
4:11 PM
I am 265 pounds and have a standard 26' beach cruiser with a "66/80" China engine kit on it and I have rear tire inner tube flats too often. I bought one of those thick self sealing inner tubes from walmart for $12.96 and that only lasted me about 2 weeks. Walmart was kind enough to return it for a refund so I thought before I exchange it for the same one, I would find out about something punctureless. I am wondering what are my options. Also, I do not like the traction that the standard beach cruiser tire has so I am also wondering what my options for that.

Can I use a mountain bike rear wheel and tire? Mountain bike tires seem to have much better traction that those slick beach cruiser tires so I would like some second opinions. Walmart also has an airless punctureless inner tube but the measurements do not go with my standard beach cruiser tire that is 26x2.125...The punctureless tube at biggest size says 26x1.95...

I would love a punctureless back wheel but do not know much about it. Any advise? 265 lbs plus the weight of the bike and engine kit and about 15 more lbs total in my backpack.

Punctureless is not always the best option on a motorbike, much less for a larger person. I'm a little bigger than you at 285, and I run Kenda K838's on both wheels with the slime tubes you can buy at walmart. In 3 years, never had a puncture flat yet. As far as traction, knobby tires actually have less contact with the road than slick tires do. The K838 is a slick tire. In dry conditions it grips the road better and has a smoother ride. In wet conditions you need to be more careful, but the only times I lost control was when I hit my front brake too hard. Both times if I'd approached my stop while slowing down and gently squeezed my brake, I would have been fine. If you have to make an emergency stop on wet or slippery roads, it won't much matter what tire you have. If you're interested in the Kenda K838, search ebay or amazon. They usually run $15-20 apiece.

more feedback please.... I still think punctureless is what I want, especially to know I do not have a flat or don't have to worry about a flat.

Well, sure, don't take advice from a guy who is bigger than you and hasn't had a flat in 3 years. One thing I forgot to mention. If you're changing the tires yourself, you could be getting flats. It took me a lot of practice to get good at it. The trick is to make sure that the bead of the tire remains seated as you are pumping air into it. I do this by pumping a little bit of air in at a time and working the bead until it's too stiff to work the bead on anymore. Over-inflation will also cause flats. I bought a hand pump with a built-in psi gauge so I always know exactly how much air I'm putting in. The 838's can go 35-85 psi, I always put in 42 in each tire. And my bike is pretty hefty, considering without a motor it would still weigh almost 70 lbs and it's a 98cc 4 stroke, so it weighs almost twice as much as a China girl. Like I said, no flats in 3 years. I wouldn't be telling you all this if it didn't work extremely well for me. And the 838's are very durable. After 600 miles, they still look brand new. No walmart brand tire or punctureless design will boast that, certainly not on a motorbike. Most punctureless designs are softer than pneumatic tires, making them wear much faster. And they cost 3 times as much, so if you pay 3 times as much and they wear 3 times as fast, you'll end up spending 9 times as much on tires. Trust me bro, after 4 years of motorbiking, I spent more on tubes and tires in the first year (before I switched to slime tubes, learned how to properly change a tire and put the right amount of air in) than I have in the past 3 years of doing it right. I just bought the 838's this past spring, and they've held up better than any other tires I've ever owned, including a $45 Specialized brand tire.

I was having problems with the tubes splitting across the tube on my friction drive, tried nearly everything and finally found Schwalbe Marathon tires with tire liners and a heavy duty tube. I haven't had a problem in several years (and hundreds of miles). The Schwalbe Marathons have a Kevlar belt and are extra thick but cost around $50 each. You might also want to look into a heavy duty wheel on which you can also get a built-in sprocket.

Yep go to war on flats. Kevlar tires, thorn resistant tubes and tire liners like nomoflats. If you get a flat armed with those then it's GOD's will and was meant to be.

Back